Practicing Native American tribal & Christianity?

StriperAddict

I have a work friend who's grandfather is pure-blood Cheroke. He has come to work to discuss the heritage of his family and some history of the tribe during a special lunch day at our building. Very informative, he was able to talk of the Indian culture respectably.
I'm not sure if his practise 'goes over the line', but I could ask if he ever had any conflicts with his culture and biblical faith; that would be an interesting subject. Thanks.

ambush80

I have a work friend who's grandfather is pure-blood Cheroke. He has come to work to discuss the heritage of his family and some history of the tribe during a special lunch day at our building. Very informative, he was able to talk of the Indian culture respectably.
I'm not sure if his practise 'goes over the line', but I could ask if he ever had any conflicts with his culture and biblical faith; that would be an interesting subject. Thanks.

Does he consider himself a Christian?

Artfuldodger

I was researching raising children in dual religion families. That's how i got the thought on Native American Christians. Yeah that would be great to get his thoughts.

mtnwoman

I have a few Native American friends, full blooded Cherokee, they are Chrisitians and they believe "God of heaven and earth"....sometimes they will refer to earth as mother earth, because that's where God's children live, and consider the earth precious because it belongs to God.
It seems to sorta blend together to me and they have the same beliefs basically that I do about Jesus, etc.

The ones I know also believe in the supernatural as I do, and that their loved ones are waiting on them, in another place, as I do.

I think it would be quite interesting to explore that more, too.

Artfuldodger

Hey Mountain Woman thanks for your input. You happen to be one of my favorite posters as you seem to be more open but at the same time very religious. Not sure how to say that. I followed you on that long pre/ freewill post and others before i joined. I have quite the same feeling you have on lots of subjects but definitely no all.

mtnwoman

Hey Mountain Woman thanks for your input. You happen to be one of my favorite posters as you seem to be more open but at the same time very religious. Not sure how to say that. I followed you on that long pre/ freewill post and others before i joined. I have quite the same feeling you have on lots of subjects but definitely no all.

Thank you.

Hardly any of us here will all agree on the same thing. I guess you've noticed that..lol Some of us agree more closely than others, but I don't know anyone here that believes/understands exactly as I do, or same for them. But that's ok, sometimes some things mean different things to different people, depending on what they 'need', according to Jesus.
Most all of our own personal 'goliaths' are different, and all of our tools/weapons to deal with a goliath are probably different....just an example....

Whiteeagle

I have always believed that Native American Indians, especially the Cherokee ancestors of mine , and Christians both believe in the "Great Creator". He is known by MANY names in both cultures. Some people go to GOD in Heaven and some go to the SPIRIT in the sky. The Natives in America were NOT the savage heathens that the Europeans wanted the old country to believe they were!

Artfuldodger

I agree, they were doing just fine on their own. People think they have to help others that don't meet their standards of civilization. Reminds me of the song where someone wakes a homeless man and he say "why did you wake me, I was up in the middle of cottonwood tree".

mtnwoman

I agree, they were doing just fine on their own. People think they have to help others that don't meet their standards of civilization. Reminds me of the song where someone wakes a homeless man and he say "why did you wake me, I was up in the middle of cottonwood tree".

Actually the Native Americans are not doing well on their own. They are very poor. I just got back yesterday from the Cherokee Rez, in NC. There were very few NA working in any of the shops, stores or even the fast food places. They were raised to be dependant on the state. I just found out yesterday that any native that graduates from high school would get $80,000.....sort of like buy your way out or stay here. Omgosh, no one has a clue.
They are given food stamps and housing etc, but they can't sell their house because it's on native/government land. They are trapped there....there is 80% alcoholism, and 90% unemployment. They may not live in a teepee, but they live in a house with their grandma and their mama and their brothers and sister and their children.....it's free, but you can't sell it and move, it belongs to the rez.

Lord forgive us for that.

And they are mostly Christian.

Artfuldodger

They were doing fine before Europeans came to America. Almost any program the federal government gets involved in gets screwed up. Look at the Kissimmee river project where they decided to straighten the river. The floodplain dried up and messed up the whole ecosystem. Now they are trying to fix it back the way it was.

SarahFair

Actually the Native Americans are not doing well on their own. They are very poor. I just got back yesterday from the Cherokee Rez, in NC. There were very few NA working in any of the shops, stores or even the fast food places. They were raised to be dependant on the state. I just found out yesterday that any native that graduates from high school would get $80,000.....sort of like buy your way out or stay here. Omgosh, no one has a clue.
They are given food stamps and housing etc, but they can't sell their house because it's on native/government land. They are trapped there....there is 80% alcoholism, and 90% unemployment. They may not live in a teepee, but they live in a house with their grandma and their mama and their brothers and sister and their children.....it's free, but you can't sell it and move, it belongs to the rez.

Lord forgive us for that.

And they are mostly Christian.

I had no idea!
That sounds pretty awful!

280bst

Read the post about N.A. being raised to be dependent on the Gov't. Isn'nt that the same thing that 's going on right now

mtnwoman

Generational welfare, we've got to find a way to help people without creating a long term dependecy.

That's right!! That's one reason I minister/witness to young girls about not to be dependent on a man, or the government, don't be tricked....you are all you have that you can depend on......well except for Jesus. And if you abide by His rules, you won't end up a single mom, be able to work and take care of yourself before you have to take care of a baby or a young man, who's the daddy baby, that you can't depend on. He doesn't know how to be dependable until he's maybe 25 and that's only if he had a good daddy and a good mama.

Ramblin' Rose....lol

Balvarik

We practice Midewiwin.

Mike

Artfuldodger

Do you practice that with Christianity? This sounds similar to What Dr Buzzard of the Gullah community practiced in South Carolina. They mixed there African beliefs with Christianity. Especially spells and root doctor medicine.

mtnwoman

Read the post about N.A. being raised to be dependent on the Gov't. Isn'nt that the same thing that 's going on right now

Absolutely.

In North Carolina, Biltmore Forest is the richest per captia,town in NC and Robbinsville is the poorest, Snowbird Reservation.

OMGoodness you oughta check out any reservation on the net, they are poorer than poor...all over the country. They are supressed beyond belief.

Up on the Cherokee Reservation, that is a big tourist area because it's up on some of the most beautiful land in NC, most of the shops (like a myrtle beach or something) are all owned by white folk.

Those are the people our country should be worrying about and spending money on.

And these are two places that I have seen for myself, I'm sure there's many more. I have friends up there and I don't know I can't explain it, it's almost like they live in exile or something. And they are such a beautiful and mostly humble people.