Pre Front Striper Trolling W/Video 7-15-2014

Scout'nStripers

I got out for a couple hours right after lunch today for a little trolling. I checked the baro pressure and it was around 29.96 and dropping. With an approaching front and a dropping barometer, conditions were perfect for catching a few fish. Earlier in the day, every time I looked out the shop window I saw deer moving everywhere. I couldn't stand it anymore and headed to the lake. Here's a video of the results for today.

suuntov

You just caught more Stripers in 20 minutes than I have all year. Awesomeness Mr. Jim.
Congrats! :flag:

striper sniper

Nice Jim, wish I had the opportunity to get out like you say when the conditions are prime. Does make a huge difference.

Scout'nStripers

Hey, thanks fella's. Today was a rare day in July.
You just caught more Stripers in 20 minutes than I have all year. Awesomeness Mr. Jim.
Congrats! :flag:
Steve, you need to make a Lanier trip soon. This front may slow down the trolling bite for a few days, but it's been decent for live bait and trolling lately.

Nice Jim, wish I had the opportunity to get out like you say when the conditions are prime. Does make a huge difference.
Man, these days are few and far between in July. I was chuckling at all the times I've hit the mouth of the creek just before or during a July cold front and did well. A couple of times we fished through the front in the rain and the stripers were just going crazy. Right now the baro is 29.89 and I can bet you the fish are very active as the front passes over.

FMBear

Now that's GREAT stuff right there, Jim!! Glad you got to take advantage of this day perfect for fishing!

Trout4me

Great video and information. I am just getting into striper fishing and wondered about doing this method in a yak.
If you could help on a couple of questions...
How fast are you having to troll you jigs?
Are you using lead core line as well to get the jig deep?
or three questions....lol Can it be done with jig and mono?
I have been cking out your product line...great stuff. Hope to place an order soon.

Thanks!

Jim:flag:

Zebco 33

Nice day. It has been a while since the saltwater trip. About ready to hit lake and give'er a go. Your vid is giving me the itch.

Funny how seeing someone mowing the lawn never has the same results.

Nice vid and great tackle.

Scout'nStripers

Thanks for all the kind words fella's.
Great video and information. I am just getting into striper fishing and wondered about doing this method in a yak.
If you could help on a couple of questions...
How fast are you having to troll you jigs?
Are you using lead core line as well to get the jig deep?
or three questions....lol Can it be done with jig and mono?
I have been cking out your product line...great stuff. Hope to place an order soon.

Thanks!

Jim:flag:

Jim, I generally troll my jigs at 2-3 mph when I am targeting fish. When I am moving from one place to the next (search mode), rather than bringing in the leadcore, I just speed up to around 5 mph.

You could probably do it with mono or flouro and a 2 to 3 ounce jig like I'm using with your yak. I'd prefer flouro because of the sink rate with flouro is better than mono.

If it were me, I'd do a lot of slowing and speeding up to get the jig in the right spot. My jigs are running anywhere from 25-35 feet in depth with leadcore, depending on speed and jig weight. You need to get your jig to that depth to be effective. I like those pedal Hobie yaks because it's pretty much hands free. The river channel would be a good place to troll with the yak because of the clean deep bottom. Fishing over trees is tough, even with a power boat. I took 4 jigs with me yesterday and the trees got 2 of the jigs and the stripers tore up the other 2. The tough part is to get out there when the traffic isn't bad this time of year.
Hope this helps a little. Good luck Jim!

Last edited:

kmrunner

Wow, you make it look easy! I went out yesterday but not until 6:00. Fished the river channel near the dam with herring and got skunked. Got caught in that nasty storm but fished through it. Headed back to 6 mile and marked a few stripers but no bites. Good job!

Scout'nStripers

Wow, you make it look easy! I went out yesterday but not until 6:00. Fished the river channel near the dam with herring and got skunked. Got caught in that nasty storm but fished through it. Headed back to 6 mile and marked a few stripers but no bites. Good job!
Runner, I've been checking the river channel in front of the dam every time I go out and it's not been good for over a week. I suspect there is bad water there. The stripers we've caught in front of the dam have been stressed and now they are gone for the most part. I think there are areas with better quality water up further north and in the creeks right now.

Nice job, Jim. I'm jealous. I'm feeling that old fever coming back. Might need to take a couple days off to nurse it.
Just let me know if you want to jump in my boat Mike. Striper trolling with artificials and then netting a few spottails for dropshotting the greenfish, all in the same day. Sound like fun?

Last edited:

StriperrHunterr

Just let me know if you want to jump in my boat Mike. We can do a surf and turf trip. Striper trolling with artificials and dropshotting spottails for greenfish all in the same day. Sound like fun?

Does it ever. You handle the guiding for the surf aspect, I'll handle the turf and marinate up some steaks for afterwards.

PM inbound.

Hyper Sniper

Nice job as always Jimbo! You have the trolling bite down to a fine art for sure. Keep up the good work and great vids we all enjoy.

Kimbolicious

I got out for a couple hours right after lunch today for a little trolling. I checked the baro pressure and it was around 29.96 and dropping. With an approaching front and a dropping barometer, conditions were perfect for catching a few fish. Earlier in the day, every time I looked out the shop window I saw deer moving everywhere. I couldn't stand it anymore and headed to the lake. Here's a video of the results for today.
Nice video!!! Glad you enjoyed the day.

Scout'nStripers

Thanks for the kind words fella's. We didn't get to striper fish this weekend but I'll be out again this week, weather permitting. Thanks again.:cheers: