Preacher Needs Education!

mlandrum

OK, today was my 3rd time trout fishing? The first trip I caught 5 keepers the second trip I caught 6 keepers and today only caught 1 keeper? I fished the tide I caught my 11 keeper on and the same place , my question is, " Do trout move around and is this a normal situation?":geek:

Seanote

I would say that is very good for a novice. I rarely catch a limit of trout and I have been doing it for years. In my experience on this side, (Atlantic) the trout and reds tend to be at the same spots on the same tides, day after day, year after year. Trout and reds won't necessarily be on the same spots as trout typically feed in deeper water than reds. However, as the water temps drop, they tend to look for deeper water and less current or more current breaks. They will not move as much, and will feed less and require a slower presentation.

I think what creates success inshore is being on the water a lot. There are thousands of places that look fishy. Eliminate many of them by fishing them under great conditions. If they are not there under great conditions, they probably don't use that spot on that tide. Spot is eliminated for that tidal condition. Fish a few new places every time you go and eventually you will have a few honey holes. Don't over fish them and continue to look for more spots every trip. I hope this helps.

Rhodes

I would also concur with Seanote that that is very good success for someone just getting started, especially on the Ga coast where you have to deal with the huge tide swings. I have been fishing the Ga coast approx 3 to 4 trips per year since about 2014. I had a captain once tell me that if he could catch double digit in keepers then he considered that a successful trip. That sounded about right to me so that is always my goal each trip but I don't always achieve it. There are a lot of variables to consider when I plan a trip but the most important (in my opinion) is to plan my trips around a tide differential (from low to high and vise versa) of 6.5' of water or less. Anything over that you have stronger currents to contend with and that leads to dirtier water as well. Trout like cleaner water than reds. Thanks for sharing on this forum and please continue to let us know how you do.

Rhodes

Just went back and read your original question about catching the 11 keepers in two trips and then just the one keeper but fishing the same spot at the same tide. I would think you have a solid spot for that particular tide. Sounds like the bite was just off that last trip for whatever reason. Maybe it was weather conditions such as a rising barometric pressure, or east wind, or post front, etc. I would definitely hit that spot again.

mlandrum

I would say that is very good for a novice. I rarely catch a limit of trout and I have been doing it for years. In my experience on this side, (Atlantic) the trout and reds tend to be at the same spots on the same tides, day after day, year after year. Trout and reds won't necessarily be on the same spots as trout typically feed in deeper water than reds. However, as the water temps drop, they tend to look for deeper water and less current or more current breaks. They will not move as much, and will feed less and require a slower presentation.

I think what creates success inshore is being on the water a lot. There are thousands of places that look fishy. Eliminate many of them by fishing them under great conditions. If they are not there under great conditions, they probably don't use that spot on that tide. Spot is eliminated for that tidal condition. Fish a few new places every time you go and eventually you will have a few honey holes. Don't over fish them and continue to look for more spots every trip. I hope this helps.
(y) Thanks, that will help me!!

mlandrum

I would also concur with Seanote that that is very good success for someone just getting started, especially on the Ga coast where you have to deal with the huge tide swings. I have been fishing the Ga coast approx 3 to 4 trips per year since about 2014. I had a captain once tell me that if he could catch double digit in keepers then he considered that a successful trip. That sounded about right to me so that is always my goal each trip but I don't always achieve it. There are a lot of variables to consider when I plan a trip but the most important (in my opinion) is to plan my trips around a tide differential (from low to high and vise versa) of 6.5' of water or less. Anything over that you have stronger currents to contend with and that leads to dirtier water as well. Trout like cleaner water than reds. Thanks for sharing on this forum and please continue to let us know how you do.
You Guys are help'in me:geek:

Steve762us

My understanding is specks tend to gaggle together, up to about 18" in length.
After that, they seem to become more solitary.