Preacher Solves Debate!

mlandrum

Several weeks ago there was a debate over the issue of whether speckled trout was good to eat after being frozen?? I said I would get back to you, well here I am! Tonight , on purpose, I tried eating some I froze in water several weeks ago and here's the verdict---- ABBSOLUTELY FANTASTIC(y)IMG_1672.jpg

Rhodes

I think the debate was also about freezing sand trout vs specs. I also freeze specs in water and they taste great for months afterwards but I had a very bad experience with sand trout after being frozen for months.....they were not edible. Have you ever tried to freeze any sand trout?

Seanote

I never freeze my fish in water. It is very bad for the fish. It is not even good to have water in your ice cooler. Dry vacuum sealed freezing produces better fish. Ask any trained chef.

mlandrum

I think the debate was also about freezing sand trout vs specs. I also freeze specs in water and they taste great for months afterwards but I had a very bad experience with sand trout after being frozen for months.....they were not edible. Have you ever tried to freeze any sand trout?
Rhodes, this is my first year fishing salt water so I don't know anything about sand trout???

Steve762us

I never freeze my fish in water. It is very bad for the fish. It is not even good to have water in your ice cooler. Dry vacuum sealed freezing produces better fish. Ask any trained chef.

I read somewhere--maybe GON?--to freeze filets first, then come back and
fill the ziplock with water, the next day.

This has worked well for me. Texture is nearly identical to same-day catch,
and the ziplock bags take less water & space this way, too.

Seanote

I read somewhere--maybe GON?--to freeze filets first, then come back and
fill the ziplock with water, the next day.

This has worked well for me. Texture is nearly identical to same-day catch,
and the ziplock bags take less water & space this way, too.

That makes sense. The fillets are frozen before adding water so they can't absorb the water. I roll mine in plastic wrap with no air inside and then put them in a freezer bag. There is no need for the water and they will look just as good. I roll them up in 2 serving sizes and can fit about 3-4 rolls in a quart freezer bag. Fresh as a daisy.

Rich M

You don't need to freeze it in water. Just freeze it.

Same for kingfish and snapper. I know most of the stuff folks say, they made up or got from someone else.