Predator Hunting and Trapping All questions and answers for the newbie to the veteran

jgyfarms

what call sequences work best in the east? how long, how loud, which sounds, etc. which works best, fields, open woods, clearcuts, thinned timber etc. favorite scents, decoys? Thanks, guys. I'm learning in case you can't tell.

j_seph

Which one and where. I hope you are gonna give us a review after you try it.
I bought the spitfire for $199. By far you get what you pay for. If you want tremendous volume it's going to cost you well over $199. I did notice last night that the clearer your line of sight to the call the better the remote works. We had yotes answer but never a show. The call seems real quiet sitting beside you but has plenty of volume for calling with around N. GA. The yotes we had answer last night our last stand were approx. 1/2 mile away.
Below are some phots from a guy in KY that called em in with the spitfire

Attachments

• yote_2010.jpg
    yote_2010.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 9,341
  • yote_booger_bark.jpg
    yote_booger_bark.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 9,292
  • yote_endswap_2010.jpg
    yote_endswap_2010.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 9,300
  • yote_incoming_2010.jpg
    yote_incoming_2010.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 9,287
  • yote_white_tip_2010.jpg
    yote_white_tip_2010.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 9,301
Last edited:

j_seph

Just sat in the fork of a tree in the front yard while I sat in the house and within 5 minutes I had at least 30 crows called in, ahhh the possibilities

JohnK

Those are beautiful animals, I figure at least 2 different ones. I thought they were all supposed to be mangy looking?

j_seph

Homemade decoy

Not mine but from Varmint Al
hammock.jpg

The Hammock Decoy
Hi Al,
My wife Valinda came up with the ideal to use a Weasel Ball toy for a decoy. I bought one for about $7.00 at a local toy store. The problem with it was on un-level ground it didn't roll well and you couldn't see it over the brush. So when I got home I went to work on it. I unscrewed the cap off the ball to access the motor this is what I came up with.
1.) Disconnect the tail/Weasel from the ball unscrew ball halves (discard top half of the ball keeping motor half). Motor turns/spins inside ball half.
2.) Take the three screws out of the weight retaining cover on the electric motor and remove the weights (a little pressure with screw driver helps achieve this). This gives the motor more speed yet still allows it to wobble when finished.
3.) Drill tiny hole 1/16 into side of weight retaining cover then screw back to motor.
4.) Drill 1/16 - 1/8 hole in bottom of ball half and glue in a 1/16 - 1/8 steel rod approx 1 - 2 foot long also take a hammer and flatten out about 4 inches of end of rod that goes into the ground to keep rod from spinning (the ball wants to spin the rod so by flattening what's stuck in the ground it keeps the rod from spinning so motor is all that spins) Rod and ball half doesn't spin only motor.
5.) Spray paint the assembly dull gray.
6.) Reinsert tail/Weasel into hole on motor weight cover.
7.) Push steel rod into ground and turn on, it spins the tail and wobbles as well.
Total cost around $10.00 and gives motion as well and uses 1 AA battery.
Ricky Hammock
Adairsville GA

DB87

I have a question, and I'm sure it has been asked a million times , but If you're starting with nothing and just wanting to cut down the number of coyotes on the property, how would you go about hunting coyotes? (Like do I put out bait? If so, what? do I wear cover scent? When to go, etc.. I'm pretty clueless about it them other than just having them wonder upon me while im in a stand during deer season.

j_seph

I have a question, and I'm sure it has been asked a million times , but If you're starting with nothing and just wanting to cut down the number of coyotes on the property, how would you go about hunting coyotes? (Like do I put out bait? If so, what? do I wear cover scent? When to go, etc.. I'm pretty clueless about it them other than just having them wonder upon me while im in a stand during deer season.
Bad as I hate to say it, if you really want to cut the population down then get a trapper.
I've never tried it with bait out, just seems to take away from the game IMO. I would suggest cover scent and play the wind. I have just gotten started and have had more success around 8-9 pm. We have yet to see them cause of (wind and human scent) We had em tore up saturday night at 9:30 had one challanging us, circled us, came within 30 yds but would not come out of the pines. As cmghunter on here said, you can really educate more animals at night but it sho is exciting. go to www.predatormasters.com sign up and join their forums.

Since I dont have a trap, yall think it would be a good idea to put out some dead squirrel or some other dead critter and hunt from a scaffold. From what I've heard, yote hunting at night is legal isnt it?

j_seph

Since I dont have a trap, yall think it would be a good idea to put out some dead squirrel or some other dead critter and hunt from a scaffold. From what I've heard, yote hunting at night is legal isnt it?
It is legal at night all year on private land. I'd suggest calling as I have never tried baiting a yote.

well it looks like ill be breaking in my new M4 and AR 15 this weekend

UYD4L

Anybody sell what they catch either for pelt or meat? If so how much for a coon how much for a yote? Got a friend who got some traps and was asking. I've trapped some coons but never sold any.

bigtasty22

i would really like to try this kind of hunting im used to hunting duck and turkey but the seasons are shot and i really need somthing to take my mind off of it during the offseason what kind of gun do you sugest i use?

j_seph

bigtasty, it all depends on what kind of areas your gonna be hunting, we use anything from a 22-250, 7mm-08, 22 mag, 12 gauge shotgun

bigtasty22

well mostly wooded areas like paulding forest and on some privite land.... and i dont think i will have to make any extremly long shots....having that said now what do you think

j_seph

Private land you can hunt yotes day or night year round
WMA can only be in the day time using firearms legal during the given season. Shotguns are #2 shot and smaller, I would say a 22 mag or shotgun with turkey loads