Pretend You are the Judge- Final Update: 18 years

Fletch_W

Banned
Before this gets locked down due to fighting- here's the final update.

FINAL CONCLUSION-

Mallory Hood was sentenced to two terms of 18 years and 15 years to serve concurrently, with no parole. So she will be in jail for 18 years. For context, in this same jurisdiction, six months later, another lady killed two people while drunk driving, and had two prior DUI's, and only got 8 years with 5 to serve.

This sentence has divided a lot of people in Charleston SC.

I met her once a twice when she was still in high school, I fished with her stepdad a couple times. Not the judge stepdad, she must have had multiple stepdads. The stepdad I knew was in the car business.

Mallory+Hood.jpg

Last edited:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
This sentence has divided a lot of people in Charleston SC.

I can imagine it did. I wonder why the variance with the other sentence? I also wonder if folks would have called a different sentence if they knew it was a girl.

Also, my 2 months to a year was all kinda wrong. Glad I didn't get into the legal bidness.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
She also rolls corn rolls for all the gals

bilgerat

Senior
dang I hope she is appealing that sentence. thats a wee bit on the harsh side

Fletch_W

Banned
dang I hope she is appealing that sentence. thats a wee bit on the harsh side

Even the brother of the deceased agrees with you. He was quoted as saying he was shocked when he heard it, and thought it was too much.

The wife of the injured spends a lot of time online saying the opposite, that she got what she deserved, and maybe not enough. Her husband's injuries were severe. She'll probably show up here afore too long. She got a foul mouth though, wouldn't last long here.

Unfortunately, the conditions of her plea waive any right to appeal, I think.

Lilly001

Do you know her attorneys name?
I would avoid him.

Fletch_W

Banned
Do you know her attorneys name?
I would avoid him.

Her first attorney was a well-known attorney in the area, specializing in DUI. He died during the whole process. Then his son, also a lawyer, took over temporarily, but didn't specialize in DUI. Then the family ran out of money and finished off the process with a public defender.

johnq85

Any of us here are just one very poor decision away from being in a similar situation. Maybe not driving impaired but you get what I mean. She made a very bad decision and she and many others have to live with the consequences of that now. I pray that this story will keep some from making that bad decision

DAVE

How so? She is a killer.

She should have rode the needle.
I don't think she is a killer. I believe she is guilty of drinking, driving and leaving the scene. She was also the unfortunate victim of a fool on a motorcycle that got himself throwed in front of her car.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I don't think she is a killer. I believe she is guilty of drinking, driving and leaving the scene. She was also the unfortunate victim of a fool on a motorcycle that got himself throwed in front of her car.

You are entitled to your opinion even when you're wrong. ::ke:

o2bfishin

Any of us here are just one very poor decision away from being in a similar situation. Maybe not driving impaired but you get what I mean. She made a very bad decision and she and many others have to live with the consequences of that now. I pray that this story will keep some from making that bad decision

That is the truth. I've got to stop trying to get home fast as I can from work, treating 85 like Talladega looking for holes to navigate through traffic. Not worth it.

StriperrHunterr

I haven't read all of this thread, other than the updated first post and spatterings here and there. Having said that, here's my take.

1) DUI is inarguable. Max penalties. And OP, I personally don't have any interest in going above and beyond what is prescribed by law, so let's just leave it with that.
2) Underage drinking at time of the incident, also inarguable. Max penalties.
3) Source of said alcohol should be sought and charged with supplying to minors. Also max penalty.
4) Hit and Run, max penalty with her awareness being compromised by the alcohol.
5) She should be held accountable for the injuries sustained by the assisting motorcyclist. While it is true that they might not have been there if the deceased cyclist hadn't crossed over, it's the responsibility of the driver to be aware of their environment. That could have been a walker or jogger just as easily as someone trying to render aid. I think that's more of a civil matter, though.
6) The deceased cyclist. Vehicular manslaughter can't be proven. Nor can it be disproven. There is reasonable doubt all around that charge based on what I've read. In my opinion that charge should have been dismissed, but I suspect that her pleading nolo has something to do more with the prosecutor waving a stick in front of her face saying that she would get charged with murder and face trial for that, with her odds not looking good being that she was underaged drinking and DUI at the time of the incident. That wouldn't sit well with many jurors, IMO. The bottom line is that it is as equally possible that the motorcyclist died as a result of their own stupid actions as much as it is that she killed them with her car. Without him popping that wheelie and losing control he wouldn't have been in that location and neither would his friend.

I rode motorcycles for several years and I'm painfully aware of how oblivious cagers are to our existence. However, this isn't a case where she crossed the line or just didn't see him. In my opinion he played an equally stupid game as she did with DUI, but he only, by what I've seen, had adrenaline running through his system and was in a much better position to make a decision than she. Being that I'm neither lawyer nor judge I don't know if there's a more appropriate charge, but manslaughter doesn't do it for me.

Fletch_W

Banned
Lots of folks in Charleston SC are all tore up right now

It happened 11 years ago, most of em settled down now, but it still comes up in polite conversation from time to time down around the battery. "You'll never guess what the maid stole this week" and "is that pretty little hit and run girl still in prison?'

oldfella1962

Her first attorney was a well-known attorney in the area, specializing in DUI. He died during the whole process. Then his son, also a lawyer, took over temporarily, but didn't specialize in DUI. Then the family ran out of money and finished off the process with a public defender.

you know what they call a suspect who uses a public defender?
A convict! :LOL: