Primitive Success

GrayG

Three years ago, I got a hankering to build my own selfbows. I decided that if I was gonna do it, I was gonna do it from scratch. So I cut down a hickory tree, split it into staves, let it season, and started whittling. After a few failures, I figured out how to make shooters. I now have made 9 selfbows out of hickory, pecan and white oak, and have Had 12 kills with them the last 2 seasons.
Last December, I decided to try my hand at knapping flint points and making my own cane arrows. I have now knapped about 75 points, and have made a few dozen cane arrows. After learning to haft the points to the cane shafts, I fletched them with wild turkey feathers and started my journey into primitive bowhunting. This morning, after a 12 yard shot and an 80 yard blood trail, I had my first primitive kill.
The bow is a 55 pound hickory and the point is Texas flint. Thank you lord!

CF5A1198-478A-4056-821F-E7759FCF9D55.jpegA9E92C62-4F1D-4A6E-903F-E2362A740834.jpeg

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Sounds like you've come to a complete circle. Congratulations on a well earned deer. Hope you have many more. That's a fine looking bow and point there !

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
My hat's off to you. Congratulations on a beautiful trophy, well earned.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Mighty fine!!! Yes sir mighty fine!!

georgia_home

Very nice! Especially right down to the arrow and knapped head!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Man thats awesome!

Duff

That's about as good as it gets in my book. Congrats!!!

Al33

AWESOM-ER!!! (y) Beautiful bow, mighty fine looking arrow and head, and perfect shot!!! Congratulations sir!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is what it's all about right there. I'd take that primitive-killed doe over a Booner any day and twice on Sunday. Much respect.