Pro Staff

Tom Borck

Banned
What exactly does this mean? I have seen where several people are Pro Staffers for so and so company. How do they get this honor? What does it pay? If any? Where do you find the applications for this job?

And can I be on Woodys Pro Staff? :D

Michael Lee

Tom,

It's really about meeting the right people and them liking you and seeing how you can help represent their company and / or products.

Some companies like to see an outdoor "resume", if you will, on what you have done in and for the outdoors in your life along with you experience in different areas.

There is no cut and drawn answer to your questions really. It is very hard to get on with the major companies in the outdoor industry and most of them do not pay anything. In most cases you do get free products and your travel, rooms, and meals are covered when you travel to shows for those companies.

I have been very lucky and they have helped me open lots of doors, but I still work my 40+ hours a week too!! :)

ML

grandpawrichard

As a Field Tester for quite a few Archery Companies it is my job to Thoroughly Test the products that they give me or that I buy at a reduced price. Then I report back to them what my findings are, be it good or bad they always hear from me. If I do my job like I am supposed to, the archery community will have another product that is as good as humanly possible.

Another part of my job is to go to all the different archery sites that I belong to and actively promote those companies products. That's the fun and easy part of my job because I have chosen companies to field test for that I really believe produce excellent products.

Then there is another facet to my job as a field tester, that is actively supporting and promoting the companies that I shoot for anywhere I am. My actions at a shoot can reflect either in a positive or negative way on my sponsors. Any time I put my shooters shirt or jacket on and go to town, people will notice my actions, so I always have to be on my best behavior.

To top off this post I just have to say that being a Field Tester and a member of a Shooters Staff is absolutely The Most Fun Thing I have ever done! I get to try out all the New Products before the general public ever gets to see them!

D i c k

DaddyPaul

Ditto what ML and GPR said Tom. Oh yeah the free stuff is cool too! I got the ball rolling back a few years turkey hunting with a couple of "industry people" and from there it took off. The Quaker Boy position has allowed me to get on staff with several other companies as well. Some I choose and some are lumped in with QB. I always tell people that ask me about being a pro staffer to write letters and send resumes. The worst thing that can happen is they tell you, "NO"! Trust me it ain't the end of the world, been there.

Last edited:

Nick_T

Banned
Wonder if Chevron has a prostaff. That's my biggest expense.

I always tell people that ask me about being a pro staffer to write letters and send resumes.

Is it really that simple? Have you gained any prostaff positions from major players by sending them a resume? Not disputing ya, just curious.

Nick T

Tom Borck

Banned
With the expection of this past season, I am in the woods 90% of the year. I have used a variety of deer hunting products/gear. I have gone through a dozen different boots, scent protection gear, hunting bags, etc. And I thought it would be pretty cool to test some new items.

As usual it is who you know and not what you know. :D

Thanks guys!!! Let me know if you need some help testing new guns, stands, etc. :D I would be more than willing to help out! :yeah:

reylamb

In the archery industry, the best way to become a pro staffer is to be a great shooter, or a great **'er. Keep in mind that not all "pro" staff members are paid positions, oftentimes they receive free gear in exchange for the manufacturer being able to use them for endorsement quotes, etc.

I have been offered several "staff" positions from a bunch of manufacturers within the archery industry, but I havenever accepted any of them. Frankly, I do not want to be tied to any one product if something better comes along.

It is pretty much as simple as putting together a resume, ut keep in mind, manufacturers receive thousands of resumes a year, so they will take the ones that stand out from the crowd. The manufacturer does not want to necessarily hear how great you are, rather how you will help them sell products.