Problem with my older dog -seeking advice

earlthegoat2

My wife and I rescued this dog 9 years ago. She is a spayed female. She was already spayed when we got her. We believe she is between 10-12 years old but we dont know for sure. We think she must have beagle or foxhound or both. She is definitely a mutt or an underbred purebred.

In the last 3 months she has been progressively drinking more and more water and peeing all the time. She used to NEVER make accidents in the house. I know she doesnt want to but she just drinks so much and has to go.

We had the vet do a urinalysis and blood profile and they couldnt come to any conclusions. Not Cushings or diabetes or UTI or bladder infection either. All they noticed of any concern was elevated protein in her urine. We went on a low protein, kidney health food that seemed promising at first. She only weed in the house once in a week. She has gotten worse since though. She basically cant make it more than 2-5 hours now. It seems to vary. When she was initially getting better she could make it between 6-8 hrs.

We are going back to the vet soon for another blood profile and urinalysis.

What are the options if the vet still cannot find anything? I would think they would know if it was kidney failure. She does not seem uncomfortable and is her same old self other than the frequent drinking and urination. Both my wife and I can sometimes make it home around noon to let her out but not always. I work until noon two days a week so that helps. Its Monday and Wednesday that we need to let her out in the middle of the day.

Doggie diapers? Pee pads? Doggie day care?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They make a diaper sort of thing that goes on with Velcro. It can be loaded with a feminine pad and it works with some dogs. It is a not so expensive to try that. I would want to keep it on the dog as little as possible and to otherwise try to give her regular outside breaks.

Lilly001

I had an older Spaniel that needed diapers the last year of her life.
I used a pair of my old suspenders to hold them on and it worked great.
It was well worth the effort to get the extra year with her.

Donal

Did the vet do a parasite panel? Check her stool. (color, contect, dry, hard, well formed,) Does she get dog fool or human food? When she is free roaming, what does she focus on? (a particular plant, place, or object, activity ?) Is her water well water, or city treated water?

specialk

did the vet xray her bladder?....ive owned several beagles that had problems with bladder stones....some were really big....their bladder would fill up quickly and they urinated alot.....surgery took care of it....

earlthegoat2

We followed up with the vet yesterday and he put her on an estrogen supplement. He does not think it will work but it was cheap and something to try.

He also thinks it may be anxiety related. She used to be a compulsive paw licker. We tried all the usual suspects to waylay that as well. Allergies, food, etc. Nothing worked so we lived with it. Well, she doesnt lick her paws anymore ever since this new drinking/urination problem so there may be a link. Who knows. We are doing the estrogen therapy now. It should reveal something within 2 weeks if it is working.

She has had a urine and stool culture done.
It is city water.
She only gets dog food except when my wife give them a small morsel here and there. (less than a few times per week)
She has taken to trying to eat our pine bark mulch lately when she is out. She also seems to like dirt more this year than any other.

The vet asked all these things already as well.

We asked about an ultrasound or xray of the bladder but the vet did not want to pursue that at this time as that did not expain the excessive water consumption. It is something that will probably happen in the future if she does not get better with anything else.

The general conclusion is that her kidneys are weakening.

specialk

good luck with her, sounds like a sweet dog, share a pic if you like!....

specialk

got beagle for sure, yep, yall are just living in their world...lol...ask me how i know!!.... precious!!

ucfireman

If starting to eat dirt and pine bark, maybe some sort of mineral deficiency.
I was thinking diabetes but you say the tests are negative.
May try another vet for a second opinion.
Maybe bladder cancer, just a shot in the dark .

As far as options. pee pads work well, if they will take to them. We would put down a tarp and then 2-3 pads, and wash the tarp if any leaks/run off happened.
Best with her and if yall figure it out let us know.

Donal

Seperation anixiety syndrome. Establish a pattern of giving love, food and water at the same time every day for a while. If possible, prepare an outdoor retreat for her to be in while her people are at work or away. A camera to record her interactions with other animals in the house while you are away, may provide new clues. Make sure she has something, that has your scent strong, to comfort her all day and night.

Donal

The Merck Veternary Manual and the American Kenel club are the better sources for information on dog health and care. The extra attention and care will comfort her, A verternarian is a good choice in managing her diet and health.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My dog is in heat. We tried the diapers they had at a pet store but they were about worthless. Wife found these on Amazon. Fit well and she actually seems to enjoy wearing them. Wife put a people peepee pad in there too. She’s sporting the rubber duckie pair today ❤️

Pet Magasin Reusable Washable Dog... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SJP1X7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

EACCE67A-771B-43A7-A046-A3CE5DD735ED.jpeg

Monroespapa

When my boy, Monroe, starting having problems I went to sharing my venison (raw ground with no fat added and mixed with raw eggs). He was a different dog in two weeks. Can’t say your results will be the same or similar.

earlthegoat2

Well here is an update…

We are just going to deal with it. Vet just says it’s weak kidneys and thus increased water consumption and urination.

We are using pee pads for when we are gone during the day and she has taken to them well but I know she would rather go outside so we are more vigilant to take her out.

The above post about stocking up on paper towels is spot on. I have an upholstery extractor for car detailing and I have brought it in the house permanently to clean up after her if there was a high tide on the pad.

She is still the same sweet girl she has always been…..so a raging terror child.

This is my life now.

ucfireman

Do what you have to to keep her happy. And you.
I put a tarp down and a few pads. If the pee runs off you can wipe it up easy and even wash the tarp is needed.
Love her as long as you can as long as she's not in bad shape.

Lilly001

My old Springer Spaniel ( 16+ years) was incontinent in her last months.
I used a doggy diaper, which would not stay up on their own, and an old set of my suspenders. I shortened them to the shortest length and crossed the short ends under her chest.
They worked great and allowed a few extra months with her.

SC Hunter

My brother had a Boston terrier mix mutt that he found on a dirt road dumped out by somebody. He brought Marvin home and kept him for 2 or 3 years until he passed away. He drank more than any dog I've ever seen and constantly had to pee. He had kidney failure when he was found and Patrick just let him live out his days. Meanest little dog I've ever seen though. You didn't touch my brother or Marvin was standing at your ankles looking at you. ? I hope your girl keeps on living her best life, just keep her comfortable and love on her.