Processing a large boar hog tips

Houseme1971

So I killed a large bore hog and I have it all butchered and in the cooler on ice. I always process my own wild game but i have never processed a hog. I have heard that large bore hogs can have a strong taste. Maybe it is just an old wives tale??? Anyone have any feedback or tips for avoiding a potentially strong taste. A friend told me that he puts the meat in a large cooler covers it with ice and adds a gallon of vinegar.......Thanks for the help.

Big7

The Oracle
One good tip is to cut off the nads right quick. Soon as he hits the ground.

Bleed him out. Hang by back legs, I'd cut of the entire head. On a "home kill" I'd cut the throat all the way to the back of the neck leaving the head attached.

Back to feral pigs, while he's hanging, skin it right quick. Then, you will want to finish butchering into what you want to save or what get's ground.. Hit it with the hose sprayer as much as possible before it hits the cooler.

Cooler full of ice, enough space and volume of ice so it will get cold quickly. Keep it there at least 24 hours so it will continue to bleed out. I like a LOT of salt. 1 cup pickling or kosher salt to each gallon of water. Skip the vinagar.?

I'd probably grind the whole hog after the above steps are followed.?

FrChs28

So I killed a large bore hog and I have it all butchered and in the cooler on ice. I always process my own wild game but i have never processed a hog. I have heard that large bore hogs can have a strong taste. Maybe it is just an old wives tale??? Anyone have any feedback or tips for avoiding a potentially strong taste. A friend told me that he puts the meat in a large cooler covers it with ice and adds a gallon of vinegar.......Thanks for the help.
Congrats on that Boar ! I shot my first in February and it weighed 170 lbs. and didn’t smell at all. I had it on ice from Saturday until I got home Monday. It was cold and it didn’t thaw much. I processed it like I would a deer and all was well. I’ve actually got a ham in the oven now which I browned on the BBQ first. I’m slow cooking it now. Enjoy your Boar and stay well...

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Either it reeks or it don’t.
Being a large boar it probably does.
GoodLuck and go cook a piece now.
No aging required. You’ll know a rank hog quick.

Houseme1971

Bleed him out. Hang by back legs, I'd cut of the entire head. On a "home kill" I'd cut the throat all the way to the back of the neck leaving the head attached.

Back to feral pigs, while he's hanging, skin it right quick. Then, you will want to finish butchering into what you want to save or what get's ground.. Hit it with the hose sprayer as much as possible before it hits the cooler.

Cooler full of ice, enough space and volume of ice so it will get cold quickly. Keep it there at least 24 hours so it will continue to bleed out. I like a LOT of salt. 1 cup pickling or kosher salt to each gallon of water. Skip the vinagar.?

That’s great advice thank you! Sounds about like how I handles this one less cutting the nuts off right away. thanks!

Houseme1971

Congrats on that Boar ! I shot my first in February and it weighed 170 lbs. and didn’t smell at all. I had it on ice from Saturday until I got home Monday. It was cold and it didn’t thaw much. I processed it like I would a deer and all was well. I’ve actually got a ham in the oven now which I browned on the BBQ first. I’m slow cooking it now. Enjoy your Boar and stay well...
Thanks! Lots of good eatin on this one here. Enjoy that ham!

Houseme1971

Eating it now, I actually shot 2, this was the smaller sow. Boar was good also, cooked him the same. Made pulled pork from shoulder
That looks awefully tasty! I grind most of my wild meat and will likely grind up most of this hog. sausage and pepperoni and likely a few steaks!

FrChs28

It tasted even better than it looked , awesome! Simple recipe. I seasoned it with Goya, and pepper. Than I browned it on BBQ like 10 minutes a side. Sprinkled some Worcestershire sauce on .Then I put it in oven at 300 degrees. I make a mix of pineapple juice from can, half teaspoon cinnamon, 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. After an hour and a half I baste it with this mixture and throw some pineapple slices on it. Another hour and I baste it again. Half hour later baste it again. Total cook time 3 hours and temp was 170 degrees plus.

bany

Lots of big boar hogs stink. Some something terrible. If you can skin and dress them clean most all will be good eating. I lose the oysters and stab the heart and twist the blade and slice right to chin as quick as I can. Get rid of any glands when processing but I do cook a lot of whole hams. Let it hang or in cooler for a few days.

Doug B.

I like a LOT of salt. 1 cup pickling or kosher salt.lt to each gallon of water. Skip the vinagar.?

None of this is necessary. Get him skint and put on ice as quick as you can. No salt. No vinegar. I have killed several in the 200 to 300 lb. range. No problems

jbogg

I have yet to shoot a rank hog, but the last Big Boar I shot was tough as shoe leather. Brining in a salt water solution for at least 24 hours can help break it down and make it more tender.

Mexican Squealer

Just when you think you have heard it all...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If he had a musky rank smell when you walked up to him the best thing to do is take pics and roll him in the bushes. I’ll 99% guarantee you can cut off a small piece and fry it in a pan and find out. It’ll smell like cooled meat or a hog pen one

Agreed, before going to any trouble processing, pan fry a bit of backstrap.

If he's rank, he's rank, and nothing will change it.

One bite and you'll know whether to feed you, or the buzzards.

Big7

The Oracle
None of this is necessary. Get him skint and put on ice as quick as you can. No salt. No vinegar. I have killed several in the 200 to 300 lb. range. No problems
Not many things are necessary.
Just trying to help the man out.
I've killed my share of feral boars myself.?

Latest posts