Processing my own

paulito

I have frozen whole hind quarters (on the bone) and kept in the freezer a few months, thawed and made link sausage out of it and re-frozen. Been doing it for years and never had an issue. Prefer to grind as much as possible up and make into burger/sausage or whatever, fresh and then freeze but doesn't always work out that way. I vacuum seal everything though which i think helps with either process.

Partially frozen or really cold meat grinds better for me.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have never frozen/thawed and refrozen any raw meat.

No issues??
I’ve thawed in the fridge and refrozen with no issues.

But, I’ve never thawed anything at room temperature and refrozen.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Glad to hear there are some others that wash and reuse Ziplock bags. Been doing it for years and guys at the Fire station thought I was crazy. I don't reuse the nasty ones but if it was clean or dry goods why not? Amazing how much them things cost to use once and toss into the trash. Or ocean or where ever plastic goes.
I put all my plastic in the recycle bin, If they don't want it they can do what they want, but all plastic is recyclable.

If in good condition (usually are) I will wash with hot water and soap, then reuse them one more time for ground venison. Then they go into a bag for the burn pile out back. We buy ziplocs buy the case at Sams. Ziplocs have a multitude of great uses besides storing food.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of good meals ! I often hear people saying they grind 2 times , what is the purpose ? I’ve been doing my on processing for nearly 30 years and never ground any twice
Same here. Once through the small plate. Don't see how it could be any more tender?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I cut mine into strips put on a flat pan a put in freezer until what I call a soft freeze.Deer processor in Missouri said meat grinds better if colder than 34 degrees and grinds more consistent if your adding any fat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just wandering how long do you keep your meat in the freezer before grinding .
None. I grind it and freeze it after it has aged a week in the cooler.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear there are some others that wash and reuse Ziplock bags. Been doing it for years and guys at the Fire station thought I was crazy. I don't reuse the nasty ones but if it was clean or dry goods why not? Amazing how much them things cost to use once and toss into the trash. Or ocean or where ever plastic goes.
I put all my plastic in the recycle bin, If they don't want it they can do what they want, but all plastic is recyclable.
I reuse Foodsaver vac bags, too.

Waddams

i did my own first home process and grind job a few weeks ago. bought a grinder on sale at harbor freight. it did the job just fine. hoping it lasts because while it took a minute (4.5 hrs actually), i actually enjoyed the doing it. i need a more comfortable chair though. the backless stool is fine for a bit but my back hurt for 2 days!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
i did my own first home process and grind job a few weeks ago. bought a grinder on sale at harbor freight. it did the job just fine. hoping it lasts because while it took a minute (4.5 hrs actually), i actually enjoyed the doing it. i need a more comfortable chair though. the backless stool is fine for a bit but my back hurt for 2 days!
To grind, or overall? I have a $99 Northern Tool grinder that has lasted me 15 years so far, and will grind all the meat I grind on a deer in about 10 minutes. My wife and I can work a deer up in a couple hours with smoke breaks included. Steaks, roasts, shanks, ground, cube steaks, and all, vac-sealed.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yeah that looks good! I’ve only got about 20# to grind but am having a tough time finding fat…….never added it before, but want to try it this time. Y’all used beef fat? I’ve been trying to find pork fat, but maybe I should be asking for beef fat too?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that looks good! I’ve only got about 20# to grind but am having a tough time finding fat…….never added it before, but want to try it this time. Y’all used beef fat? I’ve been trying to find pork fat, but maybe I should be asking for beef fat too?
Depends on what you're making. I like beef fat for burger, pork fat for sausage.

earlthegoat2

I grind once with the small die.

My arm ain’t complaining.

I hand mix everything afterward. That’s how I do it for sausage or plain ground.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I do it. I'll cut it up into grinder size chunks and freeze in bulk until I have enough to make a good processing day. Then I'll thaw until it's still a little frozen and run it through. No issues at all.
This is the key for easy grinding.