Property line hunting again……..

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Back during the summer we found a climber on our side of the fence…..we removed it and left a note on the tree indicating we have no intentions of doing anything except ensuring we are all in agreement on where the property line is - which is obvious, it’s a fence and in this particular area the pipe markers marking the line are in the ground painted red.

No one ever claimed the climber. Last week I discovered two lock on stands on the same tree, dead on the property line……..one lock on facing their property and the other about 5 foot higher facing me. They have a home made feeder sitting against the fence. They could be filming, who knows.

This is 30 yards from a ladder stand I have. My stand is 30 yards from the fence with the back to the fence and in clear view.

I left a note on their feeder to call me. I stated “I realize you have every right to hunt your entire property, but safety is more important to me and it’s obvious that your set up isn’t considering safety and sportsmanship towards others. I will gladly move my stand if you’re interested in hunting that location but I’m concerned about you facing my property when I have a tower stand deeper in the woods less than 60 yards just on the other side of the thicket. I would like to remind you that we now have multiple trail cams in the area since we discovered a climber on our property”.

Today I checked it, the note is gone.

As far as I know nothing illegal has taken place. I’m trying to be civil with this and keep safety as my priority. There’s a way we can both hunt this area without him facing my back. My gut feeling tells me I’m going to have problems with this cat. If that’s the case, I’ll leave him alone and hook him up with Irish soap bars every 3 foot on my side of the fence and probably build a wooden ladder stand facing him about 4 foot from his feeder.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I guess my question is other than forgetting the area, what other “civil” options would you take when a person won’t reach back out to work with you?

Kev

I’d be nice about it. It sounds aggravated but not much you can do. Maybe just notify the game warden about the situation just in case there’s ever a serious problem.

I have a stand 150 yards off the neighbors property and my neighbor is harassing me because he’s afraid I’m going to shoot a deer that comes off his land. I’ve about had it with him. If he doesn’t quit, I’ll start shootings his deer lol.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Go talk to him in person. He is well within his rights to hunt every inch of his property, but not to have a stand on the property line looking into your property.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I’d be nice about it. It sounds aggravated but not much you can do. Maybe just notify the game warden about the situation just in case there’s ever a serious problem.

I have a stand 150 yards off the neighbors property and my neighbor is harassing me because he’s afraid I’m going to shoot a deer that comes off his land. I’ve about had it with him. If he doesn’t quit, I’ll start shootings his deer lol.
Yea that’s what I don’t want is retaliation. I realize the chance I take hunting within 100 yards of a property line but who sets up right under another stand within sight? And faces you. The tree he’s on is dead on the line, his lock on is actually on my side in the air. If he fell out he’d land 3 feet on my side.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yea that’s what I don’t want is retaliation. I realize the chance I take hunting within 100 yards of a property line but who sets up right under another stand within sight? And faces you. The tree he’s on is dead on the line, his lock on is actually on my dude in the air. If he fell out he’d land 3 feet on my side.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with hunting within 100 yards of a property line. you pay the same amount of taxes on that part as you do the part in the middle. 99% of the best hunting spots on a property are usually at the edges and corners.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Go talk to him in person. He is well within his rights to hunt every inch of his property, but not to have a stand on the property line looking into your property.
I don’t know who he is until I run into him and I’ve went to that location several times. I’m still trying to be courteous and not blow his hunt with my timing. I’m going to try at dark today again.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
There is absolutely nothing wrong with hunting within 100 yards of a property line. you pay the same amount of taxes on that part as you do the part in the middle. 99% of the best hunting spots on a property are usually at the edges and corners.
I realize all of that, for him on his side, too. That’s not the issue. Even on the same property you just don’t set up right on another man within sight. Having a right to do something doesn’t always mean it’s the right thing to do.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Maybe he think your to close drawing deer from him so he put his stuff on the line. Just a thought.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
What u going to do if a deer u shoot runs on his place. Just wondering. Not that I care. Just a question

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
What u going to do if a deer u shoot runs on his place. Just wondering. Not that I care. Just a question
My plan is to make friends with him like I did my other neighbors. It’s just a simple text after that. I don’t mind moving, I do want him to know that him facing us might not be good. All of my stands face my property.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How many of you know that is against the law for your bullet to leave the property that you have permission to hunt on, or land that you lease or own?
Yep. That is trespassing. And irresponsible. But, if you're sitting two inches inside your line shooting back into your own property, you are doing nothing wrong.

jmac7469

We hunt the lines on the west side of my 1100 acres, but me and my neighbor get along. On my 250 acres we had some issues maybe 15 years ago ended up having to involve the law, guy kept putting stands on my side of the road id leave notes he'd move the stand a little ways. One morning the gf was walking down the road to her stand and the guy said something to her and she decided to call the law they got there then she told me. She's smart like that she knew not to call me first. Guy ended up getting arrested not for the trespassing but for the green he had on him. Eventually he contacted me and apologized, not that it mastered at that point. Anyway try to talk to the guy express your concerns, remain civil until he becomes a problem or breaks the law.