Pruitt to UT

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

westcobbdog

That's a good hire and it appears CJP has put together a good staff.
Glad he did not raid anybody from Kirbys staff except X UGA coaches..not a fan of Rocker.

hayseed_theology

Pruitt was good to the Dawgs! He came in at tge end of Richts rain. He has a drinking problem. He was toxic at times with his approach but in all honesty he was right. He can recruit and he can coach a D. Can he manage a coaching staff? Who knows. My honest opinion is even if he can't if he fails the talent level will be way up. He has never stayed anywhere long. That would be my worry

I agree. It's one thing to be a bit of a loose cannon when you have a surefooted superior (Richt, Saban, Fisher), but it will be an entirely different animal when there's nobody to rein him in. Only time will tell if he can make that transition well.

I don't think it's a bad hire for UT. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable it makes me. His advantage over Leach or Schiano is his recruiting connections in the South. I'm not sure UT could have found anyone better prepared to recruit in this conference. How he manages day-to-day operations and in game situations will be interesting to see. At this point, for UT football, the only place to go is up.

joepuppy

I see him as a risk, but a good hire. Hopefully we can recover on recruiting pretty quick. Now if Vol fans will learn what patience is and give the guy a chance.

joepuppy

I agree. It's one thing to be a bit of a loose cannon when you have a surefooted superior (Richt, Saban, Fisher), but it will be an entirely different animal when there's nobody to rein him in. Only time will tell if he can make that transition well.

I don't think it's a bad hire for UT. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable it makes me. His advantage over Leach or Schiano is his recruiting connections in the South. I'm not sure UT could have found anyone better prepared to recruit in this conference. How he manages day-to-day operations and in game situations will be interesting to see. At this point, for UT football, the only place to go is up.

Well put.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
You realize a ton of coaches start in HS right?

Meyer, Bill Snyder, Cutcliff, Chip Kelly, Lovie Smith, Gus, Tubberville, Freeze, and even Bill Walsh.

This is about like UT fans whining we didn't get a proven HC. Heck, 3 of the coaches in the playoffs started as coordinator. This guy is national recruiter of the year, has won national championships at multiple stops. That's a win to me. I'd rather have him that Schiano, Mullen, Morris, though Morris is a good coach, Doeren and a few others that Currie was going to hire. Truth is, no one is proven, not anyone willing to give up their jobs. Here's to hoping he steals a couple Bama recruits. And he started as a GA at Bama before HS

My point was, that I have mentioned Rush as a college head coaching candidate in the past and not many took it serious.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
And the minute he can land another gig at a big school, he'll be gone.

I think you need a great record to get the chance for a promotion. The shiny new could wear off quick. I look at this just like I did the CKS hiring. I and many other Dawgs with held judgement of his coaching ability for a couple of years. I think that would be prudent for UT fans too. But it want be, it will be hailed as the longest home run in the history of hiring coaches.

Browning Slayer

The Voltards over on Vomit Nation are screaming "We're Back"... "We'll win the East in a couple years"..:rofl::rofl::rofl:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wonder how many Bama recruits he will try to bring with him?

Browning Slayer

You spend an awful lot of time on VN. Sure you ain't a closet UT fan? ::ke:::ke:

It's like being in a comedy club! The burning of Knoxville has been great!

joepuppy

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. It's been a long, terrible year for the Vol faithful.

deerhuntingdawg

Rumors swirling he may go after Sherrer at UGA for his D coordinator. He’s a BIG recruiter for UGA...
It’s official

Last edited:

toyota4x4h

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. It's been a long, terrible year for the Vol faithful.

That it has. Im happy we got a coach. If the reports are true that he took a little under 4mill in order to allow more money for staff I like the guy already. School has approved 5mill for his staff. Maybe he will bring in some good ones.
Good job dogs for ending the west reign of terror on the conference. :cheers:

Yes reports of Sherrer or Lupoi as his dc.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Pruitt was good to the Dawgs! He came in at tge end of Richts rain. He has a drinking problem. He was toxic at times with his approach but in all honesty he was right. He can recruit and he can coach a D. Can he manage a coaching staff? Who knows. My honest opinion is even if he can't if he fails the talent level will be way up. He has never stayed anywhere long. That would be my worry

Excellent assessment. With Pruitt it's not if he's going to mash the fool button but when. If he can keep his stuff wired tight this might be a good hire for the Vols.

The big question is will they leave him alone and let him coach?