pruning transplanted oak trees

reds

I transplanted some Nuttall Oaks last week from 15 gallon pots into the ground. Is it safe to prune a few of the lower limbs this winter (2-3 limbs), or should I wait a year? Thanks

sghoghunter

I transplanted 8 chestnuts last summer and one thing I done was cut off half of every limb on the tree except the main trunk at the top and I left it alone. Every tree lived and doing good so far

Always heard and practiced taking no more than 30% off in any one pruning. If the tree is severely pruned the resultant growth has more of a flush and works on vegetative recovery rather than fruit production. (Also keep in mind that pruning and shaping are not the same. Shaping is for structural training of the tree, pruning then works to increase fruit production via sunlight, increase in fruiting buds, air circulation {especially important with soft mast like apples, pears, etc}

reds

Always heard and practiced taking no more than 30% off in any one pruning. If the tree is severely pruned the resultant growth has more of a flush and works on vegetative recovery rather than fruit production. (Also keep in mind that pruning and shaping are not the same. Shaping is for structural training of the tree, pruning then works to increase fruit production via sunlight, increase in fruiting buds, air circulation {especially important with soft mast like apples, pears, etc}
Thanks. Being these trees are too young for acorn production, "shaping" is more the goal....taking a few lower limbs each winter to stimulate upward growth of the main trunk.

Dbender

I would leave them this year and inject some phosporous if you have the means, then prune next winter. More leaves this summer =more roots.

Latest posts