PSA for older guys and younger ones too.

Hoss

Let me start by saying I really don’t like pine trees. Those dang needles are a pain in the backside in the fall. Our new home in Augusta has an abundance of them. One of the first things I had to do outside was get the pine needles off the roof and yard. Did it and then those dang trees dropped another load So it was repeat time. Saturday, I got up on the roof and cleaned the off the roof no problem. Coming down was a different story, the bottom of the ladder slipped and the ladder, leaf blower and I all came down together. I laid there for while tangled up in everything and took inventory. No severe pains, everything seemed to be moving OK, so I slowly untangled myself and started to get up. About that time, Mrs. Hoss came out and after seeing I was OK, she proceeded to tell me how stupid I was. I didn’t argue. Two days later, most of the aches are pretty well gone. I’d like to say I’m a tough old guy who can take it, but the fact is I was stupid for not having someone out there with me and really lucky I didn’t get seriously hurt so I decided to post this so hopefully others can learn from my experience and not do something this dumb.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, great piece of advice there.

I have given up climbing ladders except those firmly affixed to trees and only when in pursuit of deer. I am still qualified to secure the bottom of a ladder though and am not too far from Augusta. Iffin you insist on doing it again and need the bottom of your ladder secured, I can help.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Glad only your pride was injured.

Even when we are over the hill we think we are still 25 years old, 10 ft tall, and bulletproof.
Truth is we are none of the above.

I have a stopped up downspout that is waiting for a grandson now. Maybe I could sneak and climb up while the wife is at work………………. Na, probably just need to hire it done.

Hillbilly stalker

Glad your okay. Y’all know they make adapters for your blower so you can stand on the ground and do that. A little bit to fool with, but a lot cheaper than an Ambulance ride. Them covers for the gutter mite be another good option. After 50, a fella don’t bounce very good any more.10FD1AEF-AF21-426C-9C7B-F18522B3E051.png

Lilly001

I have taken to “inviting” the Wifey along on my projects that could go bad like your story.
It has cost me a few lunches and dinners, depending on her participation, and she actually seems to look forward to my request.
I get almost no cell phone coverage, away from my cabin, on my property so having a “babysitter “ (her term) is prudent.
We all need to learn our limits as we age or we won’t continue.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Got to be more careful for sure as we age, for sure. I`ve stopped most all the dangerous stuff I used to do and just about everything that doesn`t seem so dangerous any more. Glad you`re ok, Hoss.

pjciii

Glad your okay. Y’all know they make adapters for your blower so you can stand on the ground and do that. A little bit to fool with, but a lot cheaper than an Ambulance ride. Them covers for the gutter mite be another good option. After 50, a fella don’t bounce very good any more.View attachment 1180455

That doesnt seem like a bad price. Heck i quit bouncing Good in my 30's. Just bounced back quicker. Now at 65 i have to do the same thing as Hoss. Lay there and take inventory before i start moving and then slowely.

You want to know how long it takes a flatlander to learn how to walk in the mountains? About 4 good hard falls.

oldfella1962

Got to be more careful for sure as we age, for sure. I`ve stopped most all the dangerous stuff I used to do and just about everything that doesn`t seem so dangerous any more. Glad you`re ok, Hoss.

Sounds like me! It seems every single thing I do I ask myself "how can I do this safer?" And then of course some things I just will not do anymore. Turning 60 helped me - I am officially DOUBLE the age I was when I was in my physical prime - 30. :(
I have the PT scores throughout my military career to attest to my peak performance, then slow decline. :(

bany

Really glad you didn’t get busted up Hoss! I still do the ladder thing but I don’t like to get off at all. Well until I step on terrafirma. Getting back on up there stinks and I’m just a kid? circa 1961

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
That was surely a close call. I quit all that roof stuff awhile back. I have a few gutters I clean out every once and awhile and I will call someone to do all the high work. I got pines and oaks, don't do much leaf blow'n or rake'n these days, I'll just mow'em over a time or two and let it go at that.

sinclair1

Hoss, our new place is full of pines as well. Part of my exercise is using a grabber and bucket to pick up a few hundred pine cones before mowing. They will kill a mower deck and blades.

Last edited:

Hoss

I was actually kind of hoping to get more wind out of Ian to blow the pine straw off the roof, but that didn’t happen. Still don’t feel to worried about getting up on the roof and blowing the stuff off, just won’t be doing it without a spotter to hold the ladder. I have slowed down a lot and am typically pretty careful about what I do, just too stubborn to give up doing stuff. Worry that if I slow down too much, I’ll just stop.

specialk

we cut every pine tree within 100yds of our house.....most hardwoods as well.....about a half dozen or so oaks and populars was left...

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I was actually kind of hoping to get more wind out of Ian to blow the pine straw off the roof, but that didn’t happen. Still don’t feel to worried about getting up on the roof and blowing the stuff off, just won’t be doing it without a spotter to hold the ladder. I have slowed down a lot and am typically pretty careful about what I do, just too stubborn to give up doing stuff. Worry that if I slow down too much, I’ll just stop.
It's all in how you land. Just past my 40th bday I fell one foot and crippled myself for life. When the jump masters said to "Land with feet together, buckle knees, and roll. If you land feet apart and flat footed you'll break something." They meant it.

specialk

Thought about that, but I do like their shade in the summer.

tough decision for us, but i never have to worry about waking up during a storm with a tree in my bedroom

pjciii

Get you a mobile home anchor And safety rope as you work on the opposite side of your roof if you must get back up there.