PSE 2012 Brute X tuning question

guesswho

I have a 2012 Brute X bow. It shoots really well, but I have a good amount of cam lean. I have talked to the bow shop I bought it from and have been tinkering with it. I have done everything possible but swap the limbs. I've adjusted the cable and string both ways at the recommendation of the bow tech there and have not had any luck. The cam is about 1/2" out of line measuring from a straight edge 12" from the cam. I'm trying to adjust it myself till the end of season to keep shooting and have a way to hunt.

I was also informed the axle length is critical to the PSE bow tuning chart. How true is that. I cant seem to get the cam that is leaning any closer than 3/8" from the 31" axle to axle on one side. It measures 31 3/8" on the right and dead on 31" on the left (as holding the bow).

I was also told the "timing" marks on the cam are for reference only. They don't have to be lined up with the marks on a single cam bow. I read in a general repair book (not PSE) to use the marks. Any opinions on the marks?

C Cape

If you have a chance bring it to me in Douglas and we can get it squared away. Most bows will require some amount of lean to tune well but the cam lean should be set while tuning the bow.

If you have a press, paper tuning rack, etc we can remote tune it on here which could be pretty cool for users to see!

To answer your questions about cam marks and ata....The marks on the cams are suggested starting positions for the cam. A single cam doesn't have timing really as it's not being "timed" to another cam. However it does have certain positions where it will perform the best.

ATA is a recommendation. If it's off slightly but the bow pulls peak weight + a pound or two leave it be. If it's not pulling the max weight good chances are when you twist the buss cable to gain poundage it will put it right back into spec.

hoytslanger87

Did you buy it from southern outdoors in Tifton? If so take it to a true archery shop, Not saying anything bad about them just there focus is not tuning bows I would go to Douglas.

guesswho

ok thanks, C Cape.

I adjusted the ATA as close to spec as possible and it feels alittle shallow in the valley. To fix it, should I back off a twist on the buss cable. I'll post a pick of the cam lean, and also of a possible limb issue on here this afternoon. So everyone can see what I'm battling.

guesswho

Here is a few pics of my issues. I took one indicating the amount of pitch on my cam measured at 12" from the edge of the cam. I also included a pic indicating how it appears my limb has twisted and my axle looks canted. The measurement is around 5/8" from the straight edge to the string at the 12" mark.

Attachments

• cam lean at 12.jpg
    cam lean at 12.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 600
  • limb twist.jpg
    limb twist.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 630

C Cape

I would say the cam lean on the bottom is about normal on most PSE's. It really needs to be looked at holding an arrow on the left side of the cam. I wouldn't be concerned with it though unless you can't get it to tune. If that's the case we can shim the cam to get a good bit of it out.

guesswho

After adjusting the axle to axle length it shoots like a new bow. I tried both broadheads and field tips and it shoots them both to point of aim. It bothers me about the lower right limb having that twist in the end. I'll keep it and hunt with it till the season is over. Then I'll get it check out by a PSE dealer.