Public Land Hunts

Mac

This year will be my first time in years doing some public land hunts. Last time, about 15 years ago I scouted a WMA and the two of us took in our climbers and got them ready for the next morning. We arrived a good hour before shooting light and there were already three trucks at that pull off. When it got daylight I could see another 4 people and two more walked in before 8:30. What a joke!!!!! We came out about 8:45 and moved to another spot where I got a nice 8 pt that afternoon. Would like to avoid this with my son.

I have seen lots of people comment on having several spots picked out in case someone is already parked at your first choice. Also, people saying they leave camp at 4 AM to go to their parking spot. I would like to avoid that.

My question, I assume most people don't take in a stand the day before?
Also, I assume some people go to the same spot every year and don't scout the day before, if they did they would see a stand-in place?
I don't want to believe, some people don't care!!

I know it is public land but will respect others if at all possible.

I was planning on scouting and putting up a stand at the best spot I find. I will be hunting youth hunts and will be using a ladder stand.
If I have the stand in the place I am pretty much committed to that spot. I don't desire to go at 4 AM to sit in the truck to claim a parking spot. LOL

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Putting a stand up before hand is a crap shoot.

I have places that i never set foot in until i hunt them. Gives you an element of surprise. Need every advantage you can get on public land.

Ladder stands are heavy. This leads to not getting far off the road. Lots of people wont hunt far from the road. Might want to factor that in.

delacroix

BANNED
Unless it's a very limited draw quota, I wouldn't put out a stand. Someone is liable to be sitting in or near it when you get there. Maybe they scouted before you put it there and only have the one spot picked. Maybe they saw a stand and figured it must be a good spot. People do these things.

The tip to have several spots is given so often because that's the way it actually works.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
People don't think hunting public land be like it is, but it do.

Its...First come, first serve.

You cant "reserve" a spot on a Public Land hunt.

Hence the reason to have several areas scouted out.

Go deep or go thick and you will see less hunters and more deer. I rarely hunt from a stand anymore, bought a sling seat so I can go into alot of areas that are not "stand friendly" and hunt in peace.

DSGB

I've had people walk in on me that "put a stand in here yesterday" on a few occasions. If you put a stand up and plan to hunt it, you'd best make sure you are there first. I am going to be there at least an hour before sunrise. If I see that someone is already parked there, I will move on to the next spot.
I left my climber in the woods one time after a morning hunt with plans to return in the afternoon. When I got there, there was someone parked there. I went on down the road and hunted the opposite side on the ground. When I came out, the truck was gone, so I walked in there and pulled my stand. That was the last time I left my stand in the woods.

Taco4x4

I have four climbers and a lock-on at the WMA I hunt. I have them chained and locked for the honest thief and also try to brush them in a little. When I get there if someone is still in there truck I ask them what direction they are headed and that determines which spot I go to or If I'm walking in and hear that whistle of a hunter in a tree I say my bad and turn around and go to another spot. As far as finding a set up stand and backing out to let them have it well I have done that many time but last year I found this in a great spot with buck sign everywhere and stayed out of it. Found out late season that it was a guy I know who put it there and never even hunted it. Yes my climber is hanging on a tree beside his ladder stand and it will be hunted this year. Ok yes if nobody gets there first. :)

LifeLongHunter

Unfortunately not all hunters are as courteous as DSGB and Taco. I've had persons walk in on me and climb a tree within 75 yds. all the while I'm flashing a light and whistle at them. I have even had people tell me that I have always hunted here and therefore I was the one that needed to move even though I was already in the tree.

With all that stated hunting public and can be rewarding, it just means like everywhere you are going to run in to some persons that are respectful and others that are not. T

My experience on Adult/Child hunts has been worse than on regular hunts, as taking younger kids in the woods is limited to some degree and thus available places become harder to find and not get some interaction with others.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
This year will be my first time in years doing some public land hunts. Last time, about 15 years ago I scouted a WMA and the two of us took in our climbers and got them ready for the next morning. We arrived a good hour before shooting light and there were already three trucks at that pull off. When it got daylight I could see another 4 people and two more walked in before 8:30. What a joke!!!!! We came out about 8:45 and moved to another spot where I got a nice 8 pt that afternoon. Would like to avoid this with my son.

I have seen lots of people comment on having several spots picked out in case someone is already parked at your first choice. Also, people saying they leave camp at 4 AM to go to their parking spot. I would like to avoid that.

My question, I assume most people don't take in a stand the day before?
Also, I assume some people go to the same spot every year and don't scout the day before, if they did they would see a stand-in place?
I don't want to believe, some people don't care!!

I know it is public land but will respect others if at all possible.

I was planning on scouting and putting up a stand at the best spot I find. I will be hunting youth hunts and will be using a ladder stand.
If I have the stand in the place I am pretty much committed to that spot. I don't desire to go at 4 AM to sit in the truck to claim a parking spot. LOL
You don't always have to go in at 4am. Make a note of places you never see trucks parked and try those areas. Maybe even wait till about 30 minutes before daylight to find a spot. Just be aware of the lay of the land so you're not walking in on someone who could have came from another direction.