Pulpwood Prices

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Relative to sawtimber prices, what are everyone’s thoughts on how NAFDA has impacted prices. Seems like most lumber you see at the retailer is an import product, especially from Canada. I have some timber I’d like to cut but I’ve been waiting in hopes that Trump might do something to slow down the imported products and that domestic pine timber might go back up. Am I waiting in vain???
Well. NAFTA doesn’t exist any more. I’m not sure how our new trade agreement works with Canada but it hasn’t caused lumber prices to rise. Lumber is “cheap” right now
I'd like to know what happened to all of the pine saw timber that was cut out of Southwest GA after the 95mph straightline wind event, followed by the tornado followed by hurricane Michael? Go to Lowe's etc. and see "product of some foreign country". Where'd OUR wood end up? And lumber prices shoulda' been cheap with a heap flooded market.
Those trees were a drop in the bucket compared to all of the trees being harvested across North America every day. A lot of hardwood goes into flooring
Old guy has a good point. WHAT happened to all of that saw timber that had to be salvaged after those Hurricanes ? Was it used locally to rebuild in those areas? I know the lumber in most big box stores is (usually) CRAP! You’ll spend an hour trying to find 20 knot free,STRAIGHT boards,out of a whole stack ☹️.
unless you are buying southern yellow pine the lumber at big box stores and lumber suppliers is spruce or fir. Most of that comes from the Pacific Northwest and Canada. I’ve seen some on our job sites that came from Northern Europe but not much

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
OSB products come from a lot of mills in the southeast. We use lvl beams that are made from laminated layers of poplar also.