QDM County Questions

I have two questions regarding shotting deer in a QDM county. First, is there any consideration for a child shooting a buck smaller than standards? For instance, if a twelve year old sees a spike and its his first deer, do the buck standards apply. My guess is they would, but just didn't know. Secondly, can a physically deformed rack (cull) or an injured deer be legally taken if not within the QDM guidelines? Not meaning to start a debate, although I actually like the QDM regulations in theory, but I need clarification on these two issues before the start of the season so I can be a law abiding citizen if one of the above situations presents itself.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Flint,

I'm thinking the answers would be -- No -- and No.

Two of the biggest drawbacks to mandated QDM (in my opinion):)

Dean

No, and no

I believe, as Woody correctly posts ,is one of the draw backs to mandated QDM when 'antler restrictions' are in place. But really the problem is not with QDM, it rests with hunters. Maybe not the majority of hunters, but if you are going to have state or county regulated QDM they must place the antler restrictions somewhere. Now they are trying to protect the harvest of young deer and encourage the harvest of does. The problem is if they make exceptions you can only guess as to how many hunters will harvest 'cull' bucks and I think our resident wildlife biologist will be the first to tell you that it is pratcitcally impossible for them, much less the weekend hunters, to make these 'cull' decisions.

I would hunt under QDM, and TDM guidlines even if they were not mandated within the county I hunt, but I do wish a child (maybe under 15) could harvest any one buck they desire. But I would not encourage the taking a one or more young bucks, spikes etc. after the child has harvested his first. After the first harvest, it would be time to strongly encourge the child to take older, bigger bucks and of course help control the doe population.

H

HT2

Flint......

Woody and Dean are correct.....

I hunt in Hancock and it's pretty much "BLACK AND WHITE".......

It's gotta have "4" on one side and that's it.....

No matter if it's a first time hunter, a cull buck, or somebody that's hunted for 30+ years.......

For me personally.....

I LOVE IT....... :clap: