Quail Hunting Pen Raised Birds on WMA

coachdoug87

No doubt there are quail on some WMAs that people don't know about. I could name a couple, but I won't . There are several North Ga. WMAs where there are small areas that look like good quail habitat, but not enough to support a wild population. These would make good places to release birds. It can't do any harm and it feels more natural than just turning them loose in a pasture or something. Of course, there are preserves that are very reasonable if you use your own dogs, but the more options we have, the better.

A lot of great points. It would be great to see some WMA's focus on predator control. I think if these really large public land tracts would put a huge dent in the predator population we would see drastic increases in our wild game birds (especially turkeys).

steveus

Before the corona virus turned most WMAs into 3- ring circuses, I always heard quite a few quail calling while turkey hunting at dawn. Now that's not saying that they were in areas that a bird dog could get through!

Before the corona virus turned most WMAs into 3- ring circuses, I always heard quite a few quail calling while turkey hunting at dawn. Now that's not saying that they were in areas that a bird dog could get through!
interesting you say that! I was turkey hunting a river bottom last week in a fairly large swampy area and I played whistle back with one for 30 minutes.. wasn’t the scenic plantation pine area but it was definitely a bobwhite!

Coach K

Keep trying land owners that have a little acreage. If it's south GA, there's more open land than most other parts of the state. As far as pen raised birds flying like wild birds.....I've seen some good flushes, but it's still not comparable. The best method for getting a more "wild-like" flush out of pen-raised birds, is putting some in a card board box with the end cut out facing the east late at night. Scatter some crumble out in front of the open end. The following morning give 'em an hour after sun up, at least, to evacuate the box.
The birds will be rested, unstressed and ready for a strong flush.

Good luck, pen-raised birds give the pup something to live for, although, for training I much prefer homing pigeons in launchers.

You could also petition the DNR to create a bird dog training area in your neck of the woods.

As far as hunting wild birds at present in GA: I spend, minimum, 2 days out of state for every one hunted in GA, now. That speaks volumes about GA's WMA quail populations. I'm sure I don't wild bird hunt as much as most people, though ;)

Visit us on facebook: Xerxes Llewellins