Quail Quota Hunts on WMAs

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I see they have quail quota hunts on Joe Kurz, does that mean you can no longer hunt quail during small game season? Only 3 participants to the quota hunts, that's not a lot of people for 3700 acres.

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Don’t know but should at least be open after quota hunts are over.

Beagle Stace

Inquired on same issue concerning Clybel WMA since quota quail hunts now scheduled and answer was quail hunting closed outside of quota hunts. Was disappointed since closest WMA to me with at least a chance of finding quail and been hunting since 99. But if they are are actually going to begin active management on property to improve quail habitat I can agree with thought process to provide a better hunting experience and improve resource. Inquire but I imagine same answer for Joe Kurz.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Inquired on same issue concerning Clybel WMA since quota quail hunts now scheduled and answer was quail hunting closed outside of quota hunts. Was disappointed since closest WMA to me with at least a chance of finding quail and been hunting since 99. But if they are are actually going to begin active management on property to improve quail habitat I can agree with thought process to provide a better hunting experience and improve resource. Inquire but I imagine same answer for Joe Kurz.

They should probably state that in the regs otherwise the game warden will have a hard time showing me why I'm not allowed to shoot quail at Clybel or Joe Kurz in the current version of the reg book during small game season. For all I know the 3 person quota hunts could be hunt and learn events where they release birds and have nothing to do with the wild quail out there.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Look under wma in the reg. Book. areas with a quail quota are listed are listed not under small game hunts.

Why would a quail quota mean that I can't hunt quail during a small game hunt. I can't find a single place in the book that says that.

BBond

They should probably state that in the regs otherwise the game warden will have a hard time showing me why I'm not allowed to shoot quail at Clybel or Joe Kurz in the current version of the reg book during small game season. For all I know the 3 person quota hunts could be hunt and learn events where they release birds and have nothing to do with the wild quail out there.

When an area specifically states dates for quotas like dove, duck, quail etc. and does not state any dates after that then that area is only open for the species in question during those quota dates.

As an example for Clybel:

Doves - it states a quota dove hunt and then all the other non-quota dates after that.

Quail - it only states dates of quota hunts. If it also was going to have non-quota dates they would be listed after the quota dates and they are not. Therefore, the only dates on Clybel you can Quail hunt is during the quotas if you were selected.

These species are all lumped under small game dates when there is not any special quota hunts on a particular WMA. When there are special quota hunts then they are separated out.

Beagle Stace

I hear ya Quail Doc and have done this for yrs. There has been some improvement on state owned and leased properties in last few yrs and I hope these initiatives continue. Small game hunters have a small print and voice but you have to speak up and be heard.