Question about flintlocks

Esau

I asked this question on another thread and realized I was being rude and high jacking someone else's thread. I apologize for that. Now to my question, I hunt with a traditional longbow, and a sidelock percussion muzzle loader. I am very interested in getting a flintlock. I have very little experience with them and would like to know a few things. Which ones I should look at and what I need to know to make a good decision?

GAHUNTER60

The simple (and unhelpful) answer is, "it depends!"

If you are simply after the increased challenge of hunting with sparking-rock rifle, then one of the higher-quality, Hawken-style flinters makes sense. By "higher quality," I mean a Lyman Great Plains flinter, or one of the several made by by Perdersoli. This also includes an older Hawken rifle made by Thompson Center. All these guns have serviceable and relatively dependable locks -- which is the reason I didn't include Traditions flintlock rifles on the list (nothing wrong with their percussion guns, but their flinters have had numerous problems.)

Now, if you want a gun representative of one that might have been used by Early American settlers, then you will want one of the semi-custom rifles, like Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders, Kibler Longrifles, or a dozen other buidlers. (Please note that the Hawken-style rifles in flintlock are not historically accurate, as all of these rifles were originally built as percussion guns).

In fact, you can get one of the Poor Boy rifles from TVM, with a Chambers-Siler lock and Rice or Green Mountain barrel for the same price as a higher grade Pedersoli, and own a much, much, much better rifle.

These days, almost all are muzzleloaders are accurate. Dependability is the key, and with flinters, it's paramount!

Lonewalker

You won't go wrong with a Lyman Great Pla8ns rifle, be aware of the difference between the Great Plains Rifle which has standard Buckhorn sights and a 1:66 twist its a great roundball gun, the Great plains hunter has adjustable sites and a 1:48 twist will handle sabots , minis maxis and roundball. They are both good choices but I lean more traditional when using a flinter. My GPR is a .54 caliber and is a solid performer in the woods and in traditional matches.
Have fun enjoy

Darkhorse

What is your budget for a good flintlock?
Do you have skills in woodworking and metal working with simple tools?
I started with a production GPR many years ago. My current rifles are my builds.
Your question sounds simple but a complete answer is more complicated.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
You need to hold some rifles and asked questions of the owners. A local black powder group might help a lot. Some of those events might give you a chance to shoot some.

Esau

To answer a few of the questions above. I am primarily looking for a rifle to hunt with. I would like to stay in the range of around $1,000. I currently hunt with a patched round ball in my percussion muzzleloader. I would certainly stay with PRB in a flintlock. Years ago I worked my way through college as a carpenter and at times as an auto mechanic. I am comfortable with tools and do some gunsmithing for friends. I would like to start with a completed rifle, but would not be opposed to a build later on. Thanks for the responses so far.

GeorgiaBob

There are a few black powder gunsmiths and custom smoke pole builders. I suggest the you look at their web sites and get an idea what you can get.

If you want to hunt, you want as short a time between ignition in the pan and the charge going off. That means a pan that favors powder up against the touch hole and a conical touch hole that allows fast ignition. It is very hard to hold a sight picture for very long after the hammer falls! Again, builders (look up "custom flintlock rifle makers") offer a selection of custom barrels and finish details.

It is worth looking at custom, even if you are planning on buying "off the rack." A good black powder gunsmith can make relatively inexpensive changes (like the touch hole) to a production flintlock barrel that can make a big difference in the rifle.

earlthegoat2

Here is a list of makers and brand names to look at. As was stated above, stay away from Traditions for flinters.

Investarms
Cabela's (Investarms)
Lyman (Investarms in earlier years and more recently Pedersoli)
Armi San Marco
Thompson/Center
Davide Pedersoli
Navy Arms (Investarms usually)

These are all relatively common to find out in the wild and are good quality.

If you want a Pennsylvania style rifle, go with Tennessee Valley or Kibler or similar. That will cost a bit though. I think you can get an assembled Kibler for 16-1700.

Your no stranger to PRB shooting but I will throw this in anyway: I would recommend at least a 54 cal rifle for round ball shooting. This is just my recommendation. It does not mean 50 or even 45 will not work. I just find 54 and 58 cal seem to definitively put deer down right now.

GAHUNTER60

Here is a list of makers and brand names to look at. As was stated above, stay away from Traditions for flinters.

Investarms
Cabela's (Investarms)
Lyman (Investarms in earlier years and more recently Pedersoli)
Armi San Marco
Thompson/Center
Davide Pedersoli
Navy Arms (Investarms usually)

These are all relatively common to find out in the wild and are good quality.

If you want a Pennsylvania style rifle, go with Tennessee Valley or Kibler or similar. That will cost a bit though. I think you can get an assembled Kibler for 16-1700.

Your no stranger to PRB shooting but I will throw this in anyway: I would recommend at least a 54 cal rifle for round ball shooting. This is just my recommendation. It does not mean 50 or even 45 will not work. I just find 54 and 58 cal seem to definitively put deer down right now.

I just bought a .54 caliber Kibler Colonial Rifle for $1,750 "In The White." This means that the rifle comes with all the pieces fitted and ready to shoot. All I have to do is brown (or blue or nothing, if I so choose) the barre and lockl, and stain and finish the stock.

The Kibler lock and Green Mountain swamped barrel is second to none, as is Jim Kibler's factory support, should you need it.

You can also go with a Tennesse Valley Muzzleloading, rifle and get one of their "Poor Boy" rifles, finished out the door, for around $1,200.

Darkhorse

If your budget is around $1,000. then it 's a no brainer. Buy a kit from https://kiblerslongrifles.com/ These are different than any other so called kits out there. You don't really build a Kibler you just put one together. It takes little skill to get a first class rifle. The stocks are cut on CNC machines to nearly finished dimensions. All holes are drilled. The lock and other mortices are so nearly perfect it usually only takes a little scraping to fit the part.
The lock you get is one of the finest made today. It is machined on CNC machines to Jim Kiblers design and specs. Seriously no production lock is even close to the quality and performance of these locks.
You get the best of flintlock rifle parts at a bargain price in a package almost anyone can put together.
No production rifle even comes close for about the same price.
Check out his website then compare for yourself.