Question about non- res child hunting license.

treadwell

There's a chance I will be able to take my 8 yr old grandson deer hunting in a few weeks. He just turned 8 and lives in Alabama. I pulled up the Outdoors Ga App and all I can find is a statement about hunting family land and a Ga Non Res Sportsman Youth License, which includes just about everything. I did see where all hunters, regardless of age need a Harvest Record. So, anyone dealt with this yet?

Ray357

AWOL
There's a chance I will be able to take my 8 yr old grandson deer hunting in a few weeks. He just turned 8 and lives in Alabama. I pulled up the Outdoors Ga App and all I can find is a statement about hunting family land and a Ga Non Res Sportsman Youth License, which includes just about everything. I did see where all hunters, regardless of age need a Harvest Record. So, anyone dealt with this yet?
I always thought an 8 year old didn't need a license, but I honestly don't know. I bought my kids lifetime license for their first Christmas, so I have not checked.

shdw633

They don't need a license but they do need a harvest record.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
He will need a non resident license, as well a harvest log

NCMTNHunter

Yes he needs either the Hunting License or the Youth Sportsman License and a harvest record. He does not need the Big Game License.

The hunting license is $100 per year or $20 for a one day and $6 per additional day.

The Non Resident Youth Sportsmans License is $50. When I bought it for my daughter a year ago it said it was a multi year license and was good until her 16th birthday. Now the book shows it as annual so I don’t know about that.

across the river

Read it again, he doesn't need a license at all just a harvest record.

No, you read it again. He needs a hunting license and a harvest record, as explained in the post above your's by NCMTNHunter. If you don't believe him (or me) look at the license price section.

Hunting Licenses
Hunting License (Residents 16-64; All non-residents)
Annual
$15.00
$100.00
One-Day
see combo
$20.00
+ Additional Day
see combo
$6.00

To the original poster, unless he is going to hunt for more than 4 or 5 days, your cheapest option is to buy him the $20.00 one day, and add on the additional days for $6 a piece. Then get him the harvest record. He doesn't need the big game as NCMTNHunter mentioned above.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
From what I read he does need a hunting license and a harvest record . How stupid is this ? And has it been this way forever ? I hunted in Alabama as a kid and never had a license until I was 16

Nimrod71

My suggestion is to call your local game warden and ask him. From what I have read on the above DNR reg. it is not clear, I don't believe he will need one, but I would ask the man that would write the ticket.

treadwell

Thanks all.... Sad thing is, probably won't get to go but one afternoon. (Very high chance of a doe though, my brassicas are drawing them in like meth). The last thing I would want is to ruin his first hunt with a me getting a ticket. They want to recruit young hunters.....?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks all.... Sad thing is, probably won't get to go but one afternoon. (Very high chance of a doe though, my brassicas are drawing them in like meth). The last thing I would want is to ruin his first hunt with a me getting a ticket. They want to recruit young hunters.....?

If it's just one afternoon, all he needs is the free harvest record and a $20 one-day hunting license. Free licenses for youth doesn't recruit new hunters, having parents or other family that hunt does.

GregoryB.

I agree call the DNR and ask the experts. Pay the fee and hunt legally. It will give you peace of mind ( I know). Posting on social media of a hunt or other activities have gotten all kinds of people in trouble. Have seen it first hand when I was a Soldier.

treadwell

Thanks GregoryB. (BTW, Killmaster IS the law). My thoughts are, signing him up, with him there with me, getting "His" own license, will be exciting for him too. And as you mentioned, posting on social media will ice the cake.

NCMTNHunter

If it's just one afternoon, all he needs is the free harvest record and a $20 one-day hunting license. Free licenses for youth doesn't recruit new hunters, having parents or other family that hunt does.

Charlie, is the Non-resident Youth Sportsmans still a multi year license? It says annual in the book but when I bought it in 2019 for my daughter it was good until her 16th birthday. I thought I was buying an annual license so when I noticed the expiration date I called and they confirmed it was multi-year. If that is the case the OP could buy that for his grandson and it would be good for years.