Question about non- res child hunting license.

Salter

You would have to lie about the kid's address when you create an account to get the harvest record. That's a great lesson to teach a kid, lie so it doesn't cost the parents a little money that funds conservation.
Everybody talk
You would have to lie about the kid's address when you create an account to get the harvest record. That's a great lesson to teach a kid, lie so it doesn't cost the parents a little money that funds conservation.
So you have never lied to your kids ? Give me a break. Did you tell them Santa wasn't real at age 3?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
From what I read he does need a hunting license and a harvest record . How stupid is this ? And has it been this way forever ? I hunted in Alabama as a kid and never had a license until I was 16
Up until a few years ago they had to have a hunting AND a big game license.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Everybody talk

So you have never lied to your kids ? Give me a break. Did you tell them Santa wasn't real at age 3?

I didn't say you were lying to your kids, I said you would be lying on the child's DNR account in order to get the harvest record. Just the act of putting in a false address to make the child appear to be a resident is a violation of state law.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks GregoryB. (BTW, Killmaster IS the law). My thoughts are, signing him up, with him there with me, getting "His" own license, will be exciting for him too. And as you mentioned, posting on social media will ice the cake.

I chose not to buy lifetime licenses for my kids specifically so they would have the opportunity to experience and value the way conservation is funded. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do that, just a personal choice I made.

shdw633

I chose not to buy lifetime licenses for my kids specifically so they would have the opportunity to experience and value the way conservation is funded. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do that, just a personal choice I made.

I'd get them the lifetime license in case they decide not to reside in Georgia. The way the non-resident fees are going up in all the states you could be saving them a small fortune to come home and hunt with you some day. No guarantees they stay in Georgia when they get older.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Go out west and lie on a license application and watch what happens when you get caught. It won’t be a $100 fine or the good old boy South Georgia judge chucking and talking about how his pawpaw was a poacher and a preacher and the best Christian he ever knew and dismissing the case

shdw633

Go out west and lie on a license application and watch what happens when you get caught. It won’t be a $100 fine or the good old boy South Georgia judge chucking and talking about how his pawpaw was a poacher and a preacher and the best Christian he ever knew and dismissing the case

Same way in the midwest...especially if you kill a big buck!! Them boys is serious up there.

across the river

Why would he have to lie to the kid, he would be lying to the DNR. He would either have to fudge the address to get the harvest record, check the deer under his own harvest record, not check the deer at all, or pay the $20 to be legal and do what is legal and the right thing to do. If you are that concerned with $20 that you fill the need to choose one of the other options, then you have bigger issues to worry about than a hunting license.

Are you taking him on property you own? I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie, is the Non-resident Youth Sportsmans still a multi year license? It says annual in the book but when I bought it in 2019 for my daughter it was good until her 16th birthday. I thought I was buying an annual license so when I noticed the expiration date I called and they confirmed it was multi-year. If that is the case the OP could buy that for his grandson and it would be good for years.

The Resident Youth Sportsman's is a multi-year, but the Non-resident is only supposed to be an annual. I checked the reg book and the law, but I'll see what the license unit says.

hunt14u

I'm a non-resident and it cost me 100$ every yr to buy both my kids their hunting license, 50$ for ea kid. Thats a small price to pay to ensure that we are legal and they get their own tags.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie, is the Non-resident Youth Sportsmans still a multi year license? It says annual in the book but when I bought it in 2019 for my daughter it was good until her 16th birthday. I thought I was buying an annual license so when I noticed the expiration date I called and they confirmed it was multi-year. If that is the case the OP could buy that for his grandson and it would be good for years.

The NR youth license is indeed an annual license. However, over a year ago a small number of NR youth buyers received dates like resident youth buyers that made the license good until their 17th birthday. This issue has been resolved now and any new license should reflect the appropriate annual license dates.

Taxman

My youngest son moved with his Mom to CA. I always had to get him
non-resident I believe. It can be confusing on the website and some years have
been more confusing than others!. Not an issue now that he is 18 but
I wish there were an exclusion for minor non resident kids from divorced
parents.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My youngest son moved with his Mom to CA. I always had to get him
non-resident I believe. It can be confusing on the website and some years have
been more confusing than others!. Not an issue now that he is 18 but
I wish there were an exclusion for minor non resident kids from divorced
parents.
This is another reason to buy your kid a lifetime license

Lonegle57

Go and read again , they need a record log until 16, then they have have proof of hunter safety and a liscence. My grand daughters have just turned 16. Been getting them logs for years on line.