Question about thinning pines

buckpasser

I’m having trouble understanding this precommercial cut concept. What is the spacing at planting/after wasting every other row? Why not just band spray and plant the number of trees needed? I’m sure I’m missing something, but this sounds dumb. If they just need something in every other row to “compete”, why not plant something like Sorghum Alum? It’s at least wildlife feed.

GDAWG84

Planted pines should not need any pre commercial thinning. Most pre commercial thinnings are done when they’re a little older than 4 years old. I’m not sure what of what they are trying to accomplish, management-wise, that couldn’t have waited until the trees were first thinned. It makes no sense to me: they removed 25% of their volume and took money right out of their pockets. Not to mention the cost of mowing the trees down.

GDAWG84

@buckpasser
Pre commercial thinning is used to reduce the number of stems per acre to a more number in heavily seeded in stands. Think a seeded in natural loblolly stand that’s dog hair thick. Those stands can run 2-3k or more stems per acre, resulting in reduced or stunted growth. Pre commercial thinning will reduce those stands to less than 1000 stems per acre, allowing the residual stems to grow more normally.

Bucaramus

I didn't understand it either. These were machine planted with probably 6' between the rows. The tree's were already about 8' tall.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I didn't understand it either. These were machine planted with probably 6' between the rows. The tree's were already about 8' tall.

If the rows were only 6 ft apart that may explain why the current manager wanted to remove half the trees. Standard spacing in most plantings is rows 10 ft apart with 6 fr spacing in the row.

Wifeshusband

I hunt on a property that is more than half pine plantation. It has been like that for last 25 years. I have seen cuts & burns every four years or so, recently, but none that small. I think it's like Milkman says, planted too many too close together--not unheard of.

buckpasser

12 x 6 is the most common around my area. I’m not a forestor, but have never even heard of 6’ row spacing for pines.

Bucaramus

If the rows were only 6 ft apart that may explain why the current manager wanted to remove half the trees. Standard spacing in most plantings is rows 10 ft apart with 6 fr spacing in the row.
I'll have to take a tape with me next time to check spacing.

Timberbeast

Planting density will vary based on land owners objectives, mill markets surrounding land, and species of pine. If You were in an area where you could plant slash or long leaf pine, you might opt for higher planting densities so you could rake Pinestraw for extra income. The majority of plantations in GA are loblolly pine (timber company lands). Over time, most timber companies have moved to wider spacings (less tree per acre). I’ve see up to 20’ between rows. 12’ Between rows are still very common. If I was handed a 4 year old plantation and the rows were in fact 6’ apart and assuming the trees were roughly 6’ apart down the row, taking out every other row would be a good treatment. It looks bad, but it will preserve the stand.

southernman13

I like the wider spacing. It’s easier to mow between them if you choose to do so. I’ve been told by timber peeps that growing loblolly for pulp is the way to go. Plant grow cut in 10-12yrs. Clear cut start over. Idk. Guess it depends on what the market bears.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Would they plant them that close to encourage a taller less limb sapling? Not sure if it would make a difference in that young of a stand though.

Bucaramus

I was out there the other day and some rows are indeed 6' apart. The others are 10" apart and this is on a section where they did not thin yet. This one is less than a year old.

The machine they use really isn't that wide. I wish I still had the trail cam pictures of it. Looks like a mini train engine.