Question for KMac and other old school guys...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
For early season deer hunting do you suggest lighting or night vision?

If lighting is preferred, spotlight or motion sensor light on the feeder?

Once the pressure is on the roads, how far will the deer stay back in the woods?

I'm trying to go back to the basics this season. Old school.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m doing things a little different this year. I have found some residential areas where everyone is at work during the week. The deer are everywhere! Lot of vacant lots for sale. It’s like a back strap heaven. Put your corn piles 20’ off the road just pass the forsale sign. 22 mag or a 223 will do the trick.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Back in the old days we used candles at the bait site. The little flicker of the lite in a slight breeze Mezmerize them. They would just stare at it. Gave you plenty of time to hit the boiler maker.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I’m doing things a little different this year. I have found some residential areas where everyone is at work during the week. The deer are everywhere! Lot of vacant lots for sale. It’s like a back strap heaven. Put your corn piles 20’ off the road just pass the forsale sign. 22 mag or a 223 will do the trick.
So does this mean I won't be driving and holding the light for you this season while you shoot??:huh:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Back in the old days we used candles at the bait site. The little flicker of the lite in a slight breeze Mezmerize them. They would just stare at it. Gave you plenty of time to hit the boiler maker.

Y'all must have tripped out when they invented lights and batteries! ::ke:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I was always told I oughta hunt the 10-2 shift, and I would kill more deer. Tried it a few times, and it didn't make much difference.

Then I figgered out they meant 10 at night to 2 in the morning....MONEY!

Wow! Now I know what my problem is. No more daytime hunting for me.:rockon:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
A Lot of those places have fences around em y'all. Another good trick of the trade is cut the fence up in ONE spot, then all the deer should get accustomed to funneling through that spot to get to the bait. If someone is already running bait then you can put the light on the fence removal spot and cull deer before they get to the next guys bait

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I had to give up road hunting when they took real fenders off of pick up trucks. I kept sliding off of the new models.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Those suppressors and night vision really make a difference these days. Those backyard gardens are hot spots. Just hunt the fence line leading to the garden. Most of them high dollar homes have motion detector lights making it easy to retrieve your deer.

jaybirdius

Since I've bought my mini excavator, I dig pit traps on the trails on my own property. About 20 sharpened sticks driven into the bottom of the trap normally takes care of them quietly, especially with ammo prices nowadays. I do put up a sign that says " Watch out for the hole ahead" . That should help prevent any lawsuits.