Question on electrical breakers.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
With just about all breaker having to be ground fault/arc fault combo I had a question on breakers for appliances.

My hvac contractor stated that the breakers for the heat pumps and air handler did not need to be GF/AF.

The refrigerator and freezer breakers won't be GF/AF.

I was doing some internet reading and what I read says appliance breakers need to be GF/AF.

The breaker for the dryer would need to be GF/AF because it is in the laundry room(so is the freezer). Those 2 pole breakers are $100 each.

The breaker for the dishwasher would need to be GF/AF because it is within 6' of the sink.

Code aside, strictly from a safety aspect, do you need GF/AF on appliance circuits like the microwave, dryer, clothes washer, ect? They don't seem any different than a freezer or refrigerator.

Thanks

jaybirdius

I used GF outlets at the appliance when I wired my house 3 years ago in Walton county and they didn't have any issues with it. I heard horror stories about Walton's inspectors when I started. They were fantastic to deal with in my experience and answered most questions I had over the phone and on 2 occasions met with me on sight and walked me through my questions. Hopefully your county is the same.

tree cutter 08

Check with your code man. He has the final say. Don't matter what anybody says here. With that said I didn't have to put those on any of the things you mentioned and I wouldn't want my fridge or freezers on one. Good chance of your microwave is on one it will trip it from time to time.

Wire Nut

I have no issues with Walton County inspectors. DW has to have a GF breaker. Air handlers/furnaces and outside units do not. Ask the inspector if he’s enforcing code change on dryer/stove breakers. If so they’ll need to be GF. By code all outlets(receptacles, lights, and switches)must have arc fault protection. That includes refrigerators, freezers and microwaves. They will trip. It will need to be addressed ASAP. I get these calls on a daily basis