Question on hog hunting

Brayhaven

Great, thanks guys. Didn’t know if they would think folks would just claim to be hog hunting during archery season, while carrying a gun.

Brayhaven

Also know that you can't do both simultaneously. You can not carry a gun while bow hunting. See here

https://forum.gon.com/threads/carrying-handguns-while-bow-hunting.712319/
OK, That was confusing. It would seem that you could carry either or both if only hunting hogs. I talked with the game warden and he was confused too, it reads: "
Archers may not possess any center or rim fire firearms during archery deer season, unless they have a valid carry permit". But the game warden says you can hunt hogs with any legal firearm on private land at any time of the year. I like to hunt hogs with my bow, during archery season but like to carry a pistol as well. or even take a rifle in the stand for a long shot.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
OK, That was confusing. It would seem that you could carry either or both if only hunting hogs. I talked with the game warden and he was confused too, it reads: "
Archers may not possess any center or rim fire firearms during archery deer season, unless they have a valid carry permit". But the game warden says you can hunt hogs with any legal firearm on private land at any time of the year. I like to hunt hogs with my bow, during archery season but like to carry a pistol as well. or even take a rifle in the stand for a long shot.

You can archery hunt for deer and shoot a hog with either your bow or a pistol with your GWCL on private land. Or, you could go hog hunting with a rifle so long as you don't have anything that might indicate you are deer hunting (i.e. a grunt call). You cannot bow hunt deer and rifle hunt hogs at the same time. Same thing with squirrels, you can't bow hunt deer and carry a .22 rifle to shoot squirrels with.

Brayhaven

You can archery hunt for deer and shoot a hog with either your bow or a pistol with your GWCL on private land. Or, you could go hog hunting with a rifle so long as you don't have anything that might indicate you are deer hunting (i.e. a grunt call). You cannot bow hunt deer and rifle hunt hogs at the same time. Same thing with squirrels, you can't bow hunt deer and carry a .22 rifle to shoot squirrels with.
Ok, that’s one way to look at it I guess. The guy I talked with at law enforcement had to go get an opinion from his supervisor. They finally said I could carry any legal weapon for hunting hogs at any time of the year on private land , including bow & ML seasons, including any combination of weapons as long as I was only hunting hogs. I guess a grunt call would be an indicator (though my hog grunt sounds very similar :). Or a rattle bag etc. haven’t hunted GA since I was in the army a half century ago, but now have a lease there. But I have a carry license. Might be fun convincing them my scoped contender is my carry gun :) , but I can kill a hog at 100 yds with it. Still enjoy shooting em with the bow Though. Thanks again.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Ok, that’s one way to look at it I guess. The guy I talked with at law enforcement had to go get an opinion from his supervisor. They finally said I could carry any legal weapon for hunting hogs at any time of the year on private land , including bow & ML seasons, including any combination of weapons as long as I was only hunting hogs. I guess a grunt call would be an indicator (though my hog grunt sounds very similar :). Or a rattle bag etc. haven’t hunted GA since I was in the army a half century ago, but now have a lease there. But I have a carry license. Might be fun convincing them my scoped contender is my carry gun :) , but I can kill a hog at 100 yds with it. Still enjoy shooting em with the bow Though. Thanks again.

If you have a GWCL you can use any pistol for hogs on private land. If you are strictly hunting hogs, there are no limitations. The kicker is that you need to make sure you don't have anything that would make a game warden think you are hunting deer.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If you have a GWCL you can use any pistol for hogs on private land. If you are strictly hunting hogs, there are no limitations. The kicker is that you need to make sure you don't have anything that would make a game warden think you are hunting deer.

But once rifle season comes in. You could carry a bow & rifle on hunts at the same time is u wanted. Private land.
Is that correct ?