QUESTION ON SNAKE PROOF BOOTS

LNK

My Rocky Snake Proof Boots are about 20 years old.They are still in good shape..because I only wear them during warm weather days during Georgia Deer season.
.Question ::.SHOULD THEY STILL BE SAFE AGAINST SNAKE BITES.

HogKillaDNR

I would send Rocky an email and see what they say. I just sent a pair back last week because the zipper kept snagging on the fabric. I really like those boots but I don't want to go hog hunting without them.

KevChap

Banned
I would send Rocky an email and see what they say. I just sent a pair back last week because the zipper kept snagging on the fabric. I really like those boots but I don't want to go hog hunting without them.
I've got the same problem with mine.. I've spent an hour trying to get that stuff separated from the zipper so I could finish taking them off or putting them on

KevChap

Banned
My Rocky Snake Proof Boots are about 20 years old.They are still in good shape..because I only wear them during warm weather days during Georgia Deer season.
.Question ::.SHOULD THEY STILL BE SAFE AGAINST SNAKE BITES.
I'm not sure but I wouldn't think they'd expire if you only wear them during deer season. I'd email them too

Hillbilly stalker

20 years old ? Rocky is going to try to sale you a new pair. Unfortunately, Rocky hasn't made a decent pair in about 20 years. Last couple pair I had were crap. I wouldn't pay $20 for a new pair rite now. Its much cheaper and safer for you to just buy a new pair. Things deteriorate over time, why take unnecessary chances ? Bite the bullet, go ahead and buy a new pair and get them broke in before season.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
@Nicodemus don’t you use some old boots too?

The Chippewas Nic wears are discontinued. I tried to get a pair, the new model is good but has replaced some parts of the boot with snake proof fabric where it used to be Buffalo hide.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
@Nicodemus don’t you use some old boots too?

Yes, Chippewa all leather. I treat my snake boots like my life depends on them. The old pair is around 35 years old now and on their third set of soles. New pair, which are now around 4 or 5 years old, are now discontinued. If the new pair last as long as the old ones, I won`t need another pair till I`m over 100 years old.

snake boots.jpg

jbogg

I would think you will be fine. Grab a hypodermic needle at the pharmacy and see if you can push it through. I switched from my snake boots to turtle skin gaiters and never looked back. Light as a feather, and I can wear my good sturdy boots for side hilling and climbing the mountains.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Yes, Chippewa all leather. I treat my snake boots like my life depends on them. The old pair is around 35 years old now and on their third set of soles. New pair, which are now around 4 or 5 years old, are now discontinued. If the new pair last as long as the old ones, I won`t need another pair till I`m over 100 years old.

View attachment 1089212

Somewhere in my memory I seem to remember that these newer boots had a bit of venom running down the side of one of them back a few years ago.....BUT did not penetrate them however during a test of an actual rattlesnake bite. NIC, tell me that my mind is NOT playing tricks on me because in my mind, I can still remember some yellowish venom on the leather BUT no hole penetration. Seems like it was a rattlesnake in your yard that was used for this testing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Somewhere in my memory I seem to remember that these newer boots had a bit of venom running down the side of one of them back a few years ago.....BUT did not penetrate them however during a test of an actual rattlesnake bite. NIC, tell me that my mind is NOT playing tricks on me because in my mind, I can still remember some yellowish venom on the leather BUT no hole penetration. Seems like it was a rattlesnake in your yard that was used for this testing.

Your mind is still sharp, Mike. First time I ever tested a pair of new boots on a canebrake, and it took some doing to get her to strike. They`re a lot more even tempered than a diamondback. I prefer diamondbacks but she came across the yard and I couldn`t resist the temptation. Five footer.

boot2.jpgboot3.jpgboot1.jpg

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Thanks for the update as that image in my mind has made me think of you many times as I could still remember some venom showing on the leather. It impressed me for sure and I have shared your happenings over the years with lots of my friends and I know that whenever the "chips were down", well I always would want YOU on my side.

The truth is that when I grow up, :pop: I would LOVE to be just like you and I don't know another person on this earth that treats the outdoors and all of the critters with such a high level of respect such as you. You have been the topic of many conversations with lots of my friends and (non-Gon members) and that also includes the "Redhead" also as without any doubt, from everything that I know, YOU two make the finest couple that I know. It is indeed a fact that my dear lady friend and I have discussed you and Ms Sheryl many times during the past 4 years now.

Thanks for posting that photo again as it is exactly like I remembered it. Luckily, up in my area, I don't have so much of a need to worry too much about poisonous snakes as such BUT your area is a whole different situation for sure.

HogKillaDNR

I've got the same problem with mine.. I've spent an hour trying to get that stuff separated from the zipper so I could finish taking them off or putting them on

I had mine less than 60 days before the zipper started messing up. They come with a 12 month warranty and the retailer sent them back for me.

HogKillaDNR

Mine was the same.. I just started putting my finger behind it when I zipped it to keep it separated.. its a pain

I'll definitely do that once I get mine back. This pair looked like that fabric wasn't sowed in properly causing the issue. We couldn't get the fabric out of the zipper and I had issues with them from day one just got worse over the couple of weeks using.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks for the update as that image in my mind has made me think of you many times as I could still remember some venom showing on the leather. It impressed me for sure and I have shared your happenings over the years with lots of my friends and I know that whenever the "chips were down", well I always would want YOU on my side.

The truth is that when I grow up, :pop: I would LOVE to be just like you and I don't know another person on this earth that treats the outdoors and all of the critters with such a high level of respect such as you. You have been the topic of many conversations with lots of my friends and (non-Gon members) and that also includes the "Redhead" also as without any doubt, from everything that I know, YOU two make the finest couple that I know. It is indeed a fact that my dear lady friend and I have discussed you and Ms Sheryl many times during the past 4 years now.

Thanks for posting that photo again as it is exactly like I remembered it. Luckily, up in my area, I don't have so much of a need to worry too much about poisonous snakes as such BUT your area is a whole different situation for sure.

Thank you for the kind words, Mike. I just like the woods, swamp, and wild places. :cheers:

Latest posts