Questions for DNR

humdandy

Banned
I've been hunting Chattahoochee WMA for many years now and every year the gates are closed during bow season. I was told (and it may be incorrect info.) that the gates are opened up for rifle hunters and now bear doggers.

Why do they open up the gates for these hunters and not bow hunters? Do you think bow hunters are more athletic and capable of hiking in 10-12 miles a day to hunt? Do you think we are more physically fit and manly (and attractive)?:banana:

What is the estimated bear population on Chattahoochee?

Was the dog hunt intended to decimate the bear population in hopes the deer population will come back? (I was told this was the case.......and.......I was also told this dog hunt was all political)

Are they going to have this dog hunt next year?

Will they start moving the hunt from WMA to WMA when they complain for lack of bears on Chattahoochee?

BTW, I have dog hunted mountain lions, deer and hogs........I have nothing against dog hunters at all......just they way it was handled.

Thanks.....

jbogg

Answers:
1. Yes, the gates stay closed since if bow hunters were any tougher they would rust.
2. The bear population is 50 less than it was two weeks ago.
3. Yes, The dog hunt is on the schedule for next year
4. Not sure if this will continue on other WMA’s, but I would not be surprised.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Bow hunting gives less opportunity at success so I believe the gates are kept closed to give more undisturbed hunt opportunities and way less pressure by keeping all the vehicles off the roads.
Its a win win for me. Open the gates and too many acres are flooded with road riders.

humdandy

Banned
Bow hunting gives less opportunity at success so I believe the gates are kept closed to give more undisturbed hunt opportunities and way less pressure by keeping all the vehicles off the roads.
Its a win win for me. Open the gates and too many acres are flooded with road riders.

Oh don't get me wrong.......I'm glad they are closed!!!

jbogg

Oh don't get me wrong.......I'm glad they are closed!!!

I used to appreciate the gates being closed, but I have changed my opinion. There are so few people that actually bow hunt up there that I don’t believe opening the gates would result in it being impossible to get away from the crowds. Heck, if you were to drive all the way to the back of Trail Ridge or to the top of apple orchard and then walk another 30 min from there you would never see another soul. Not only would opening the gates allow bow hunters to more easily spread out, but it would also be a huge benefit when considering animal recovery and meat spoilage that time of year.

NGA44

I used to appreciate the gates being closed, but I have changed my opinion. There are so few people that actually bow hunt up there that I don’t believe opening the gates would result in it being impossible to get away from the crowds. Heck, if you were to drive all the way to the back of Trail Ridge or to the top of apple orchard and then walk another 30 min from there you would never see another soul. Not only would opening the gates allow bow hunters to more easily spread out, but it would also be a huge benefit when considering animal recovery and meat spoilage that time of year.

I don’t think the concern is the number of hunters that would use the road, but how many jeepers, leaf lookers, tourists would be on them.

Heath

So, people can't ride around when rifle hunters are hunting?

Sure can, that’s why they keep them closed most of the time. Weather also plays a part as water and freeze thaw are terrible when you get traffic on top of it. I’ve asked them the same question for years because many FS gates are closed after deer season and always get the same answer. Opened to alleviate hunting pressure during gun hunts and closed otherwise due to maintenance reasons.

humdandy

Banned
Sure can, that’s why they keep them closed most of the time. Weather also plays a part as water and freeze thaw are terrible when you get traffic on top of it. I’ve asked them the same question for years because many FS gates are closed after deer season and always get the same answer. Opened to alleviate hunting pressure during gun hunts and closed otherwise due to maintenance reasons.

I would tend to think they would be open for archery and closed for rifle season.....common sense and all.

Heath

I would tend to think they would be open for archery and closed for rifle season.....common sense and all.

I would like them to be open for every open hunting season and then closed otherwise. A FS employee and I were talking as he was trying to close me inside a road one morning. He said they had tried leaving some open and Turkey and deer hunters made more complaints about people ruining their hunts by driving in on them than complaints received about roads just being closed. I see their side. Either open them for all or close them for all. That’s the only fair way to address it.

twincedargap

Close em all. It’s amazing how undisturbed the animals are when they are closed vs open. Also amazing the damage to the roads when open. Also, jack holes parking and camping on food plots is non existent when gates are closed. I’d rather walk and see game.