Questions for you Yak fishermen

kirby999

For some crazy reason; I have become enormously excited about fishing again . Problem is , mother nature has decided to make this a cool fall and possibly a colder winter than we've had in recent years . I have a "sit on" yak on the way , I've ordered . It's self-bailing , meaning there's holes in the bottom . right? How do you keep your rear-end from getting wet . Do you guys wear a wet suit when the water chills? Plug the holes ? kirby

7 point

I have A heritage redfish 14 selfbailer and my rear end never gets wet I just ware sweats in the winter so when I waid out I can hike the legs up on them.

GONoob

Foam plastic golf balls, they are firm enough to keep the water out. You can even buy the manufactures scupper plugs. Really depends on what you want to pay and the length you go to get them. They both work well.

GONoob

I would wear waders, even in my canoe this winter I will be wearing waders.

I have heard stories of people capsizing in waders and struggle to get back in the yak. In the winter, probably even worse idea to wear waders.

crackerdave

Foam plastic golf balls, they are firm enough to keep the water out. You can even buy the manufactures scupper plugs. Really depends on what you want to pay and the length you go to get them. They both work well.

I'm a cheapskate - I stuff a couple plastic grocery bags in the holes.:D

Kirby,you'll be even more excited about fishin' when you start 'yak fishin'! I love it,and so does most everybody who tries it.

kirby999

I'm a cheapskate - I stuff a couple plastic grocery bags in the holes.:D

Kirby,you'll be even more excited about fishin' when you start 'yak fishin'! I love it,and so does most everybody who tries it.
Yea : I need to get a friend or two interested in a yak . I got excited this afternoon , while out , I spied a couple of yaks in the back of a Toyota p'up, parked in front of Partners Pizza in Tyrone , they had a couple of fishing rods , one with a spinnerbait , thrown in the back with them . A couple of weeks ago , I wouldn't have noticed . kirby

allenww

I have heard stories of people capsizing in waders and struggle to get back in the yak. In the winter, probably even worse idea to wear waders.

Closest to drowning I can remember. Either don't wear them or wear a life jacket if you do. The only way to reenter your craft is to get out of the waders, which at that point weigh a hundred very cold pounds. The upside is as long as you are in the water, they are weight neutral. I still wear them, but I also wear a pull-the-plug-to-inflate jacket.

wa

Dominic

Banned

I should have clarified wear a PFD and use your wading belt properly. I have gone in the water in the wintertime, using my wading belt properly meant the difference between filling my waders with water and not, I got wet but not like I would have had I not been using it. The PFD is just common sense.

Randy

First off, Kirby any time you want to go let me know.

I wear waders in the winter. Not just to keep my rear dry not to keep my lap dry. You will get wet just from paddle drips. Wearing waders can make it tough to re-enter the yak in deep water but it is better than getting wet. You should not fall out anyway? Obviously wearing a PFD is a must no matter what time of the year. And worse than waders is trying to re-enter a yak with an inflatable on. It is near impossible.

Yak fishing is a great sport that cam be done year round with the right equipment and training.