Questions on 2 rifles

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hope y'all firearm experts are doin great!!
I've been researchin just a little on 300 wsm and 338-06. Just gettin started in learnin about them for maybe in the future.
So I've heard one podcast suggesting the Browning A bolt was a great rifle to chamber the 300 wsm. They said other manufacturers had a hard time with feed issues due to the steep shoulder of the case.
What say y'all on that?
Does brownings x bolt and hellscaynon models feed to the chamber like the A-bolt? Or is there a difference?

And why is the 338-06 unpopular and not commercially mas produced?
With just a little research it seems like it should be a GREAT choice for medium/heavy game like elk and moose.

Do any of y'all own either of these? How do you like or dislike it?
Thanks for y'alls thoughts!!!!!!!

LittleDrummerBoy

With just a little research it seems like it should be a GREAT choice for medium/heavy game like elk and moose.

I had a hard look at having one built a few years back. Decided against it. With 200-220 grain bullets, it only gives 200 fps or so more velocity than the 30-06 itself, whereas the 30-06 gives more sectional density with bullets of the same weight. There just aren't many situations where you need that extra speed.

If you need more speed (say for longer range trajectories), why not step up to the .300 Win Mag and shoot 200+ grain bullets at 2800+ fps.

So, for my purposes, the 338-06 is something of a tweener. Sure, it does a small number of things better than the 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, but for hunting out west, the 30-06 and the 300 Win Mag cover a lot more possibilities and are much more versatile. It's just hard to beat bullet weights ranging from 110 to 240 grains and all the reloading possibilities of those cases.

sea trout

chuckdog Yes I have as matter of fact thought of 35 whelen
From what I've read the authors or speakers say with todays bullets that it no longer holds an edge over 30-06 like it did in the past. But I'd like to learn more!
But I am interested in an odd caliber. I don't know why. I probably won't get one. But I am interested in learning of the calibers and rounds that bridge the gap between 30-06 and 300 winmag
Thanks!

SakoL61R

On the 35 Whelen, not sure if it "bridges the gap", but it sure has made wicked big holes in the various critters I've killed with it.

I've had mine for 29 years and used it on Oregon elk--GA deer and hogs. Mostly back in the 90's, but I still pull it out for deer in certain situations. Laid out two GA yotes with it many years ago as well. Dang waste of two Partitions, but the results were very satisfying and most certainly appreciated by the buzzards.

My all-around load is a 225 Nosler Partition over RL 15 running at a chrono'd 2610 fps.

My other "just-for-deer" is a reduced load of H4895 pushing 180 Speer Flatnoses at an estimated 2350 fps. They work very well with much less recoil.

Discounting current component non-availability, I like the range of .35 cal bullet choices and the capability to go from absolute thumper to mild, yet very effective.

Rich M

I'm not so sure a 338-06 is much of an improvement over 3006. Maybe a few heavier bullets but you can get 200+gr 308 cal bullets.

300 mag gives a couple hundred fps more than 3006. 338-06 isn't gonna offer more speed.

You got me curious.

pacecars

I went with a 9.3x62mm which is pretty close to the .338-06 and .35 Whelen being .366 diameter and of just slightly more power and ammo is available world wide

rosewood

If you hand load, you can pick your cartridge. If you do not, then you are tied to what is readily available. The .35 Whelen can still be found in some big box stores and would be much easier to come by than the .338-06.

I can say I have never shot either of those, but the 300 win mag can be brutal. I developed loads for my brother's Howa and I really didn't like the range time with it.

Rosewood

SC Hunter

While I've never shot a 338-06 I've owned 2 different 300 wsm rifles. As far as big guns go my first 300 wsm Model 70 ported barrel rifle was my favorite magnum rifle I've ever owned. I shot bullets from 130 grains up to 180 grain ballistic tips and that bullet left really impressive holes in stuff. Those 180 grain ballistic tips absolutely hammered deer. I'm just waiting to find another one I like and I'll have another 300 wsm.

sea trout

While I've never shot a 338-06 I've owned 2 different 300 wsm rifles. As far as big guns go my first 300 wsm Model 70 ported barrel rifle was my favorite magnum rifle I've ever owned. I shot bullets from 130 grains up to 180 grain ballistic tips and that bullet left really impressive holes in stuff. Those 180 grain ballistic tips absolutely hammered deer. I'm just waiting to find another one I like and I'll have another 300 wsm.
Thanks! I love m70's.
How was feeding rounds with the bolt in the m70's chamber? I've just heard some youtube audio how the steep shoulders of the wsm can make chambering difficult. I'd love to read what your experience is thanks!

BriarPatch99

Thanks! I love m70's.
How was feeding rounds with the bolt in the m70's chamber? I've just heard some youtube audio how the steep shoulders of the wsm can make chambering difficult. I'd love to read what your experience is thanks!

The WSM cartridges have a 35 degree shoulder angle which is only 5 degrees more than the much beloved 6.5 Creedmoor....

not a lot a difference

Ray357

AWOL
Hope y'all firearm experts are doin great!!
I've been researchin just a little on 300 wsm and 338-06. Just gettin started in learnin about them for maybe in the future.
So I've heard one podcast suggesting the Browning A bolt was a great rifle to chamber the 300 wsm. They said other manufacturers had a hard time with feed issues due to the steep shoulder of the case.
What say y'all on that?
Does brownings x bolt and hellscaynon models feed to the chamber like the A-bolt? Or is there a difference?

Do any of y'all own either of these? How do you like or dislike it?
Thanks for y'alls thoughts!!!!!!!
I have never known any factory 300 WSM to have feed problems. The answer to second question is 35 Whelen.

lonewolf247

If you've been out there searching for ammo, as I have, one thing I pay attention to is, what calibers seem to stay in stock during these shortage/panic buy/etc times? One caliber that I keep running across, whether it be online sales, big box hunting stores, or just at your local Walmart, I keep seeing .300 win mag! To me, if your wanting a .30 caliber magnum, and unless your purposely targeting a WSM caliber for some reason, why not just buy a .300 Win Mag? That would be my vote.

I love the .35 Whelen, and I have one, because it qualifies, for our primitive season, In our state, although it's not so primitive. I haven't seen ammo since October last year. I love me .257 Weatherby Magnum, but ammo is hard to come by too. I bought a 6.5 Creedmore, just to say I own one, lol, but I have no ammo.

I'm not saying I absolutely haven't seen any available ammo at all, but it's been few and far between, or it's at ridiculous prices I'm not going to pay.

Last edited:

sea trout

That's great to know thanks y'all!

35 Whelen

35 Whelen! If you reload you can use 30-06 brass, which is usually easy to find.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
9BD4D524-F1AE-4B32-9D15-D81A043D0DDA.jpegYep heres whatcha need it’s a 300 winmag common yet custom. Just reloaded 100 once fired brass to light light recoil and 110gr spire.
The rings took me buying 3 sets for the kit of what I really wanted. The scope is NOS 1985 never mounted with all the extra accessories Leupold sold back then also Nos. Low rings so close to the custom slab side and top plus fluted on bottom custom shop barrel in The plain ol common 300 win.
Only shot a 300 wm once but that was enough to know I wanted one someday.
You can load it down to 308 or up to max 300 win. Notice the scope is all but a dollar touchin the barrel with only daylight shining through. Still wonder if it shoots good or not.
:love: Bettin it does it.
Hoping for a pea shooter.