Questions on lube

common man

I think from reading stuff I have learned how to clean my muzzleloader. Still need some primers. Just go ahead GON family and mail me some I can't find them anywhere. HA HA. Anyway my question is what are your favorite products to use for lube on your muzzleloader. The choices are just overwhelming me. Let me know what you like. I have bought an inline for referance.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I think from reading stuff I have learned how to clean my muzzleloader. Still need some primers. Just go ahead GON family and mail me some I can't find them anywhere. HA HA. Anyway my question is what are your favorite products to use for lube on your muzzleloader. The choices are just overwhelming me. Let me know what you like. I have bought an inline for referance.
Don’t know anything about inlines

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Inline or side lock, it doesn't matter. Whatever you choose, your lube should be a natural product and not petroleum based. If you want to rub the outside of the barrel and workings with some gun oil, that's fine, but avoid using petroleum products anywhere they might be exposed to burning powder.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I'd also mention that Ballistol is a good lubricant and cleaner when mixed with water. I like to leave a good coating of it (without water) in my muzzle loader barrels because it's naturally a little alkaline and won't rust but will continue cleaning. Before you shoot again run a couple of dry patches down the barrel to clean it out and you'll be surprised how much additional cleaning it did.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've got a couple sidelocks and a TC Omega. They both get cleaned with soapy water, and treated with Bore Butter.

Buckman18

TC Bore Butter is easy and not messy.

For decades, I have used simple Crisco. Crisco is probably the better value because it also dubs as grease to fry chicken. I use it to lube bullets in my old percussion, and also to lube the breech plug in my encore.

And while I’m helping you save money, look at the main ingredient on deer cane and then go buy baking soda instead on your summer mineral licks.
;)

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I like mink oil in cooler weather. Bear oil in warmer weather.

little rascal

Betcha groundhog grease would work well. Crisco or lard has seasoned and lubed a many front stuffer. An old buddy used to tell me, take a bath with your muzzleloader barrel and swab it several times. Swab with some dry patches, run some crisco patches down the barrel. Then put it in the oven to dry it out. Of course the old guns with iron sights would be okay, but if you got modern sights, plastic and fiber optic involved, this might not be a good method. I use bore butter to lube my bullets, maxi balls.

Darkhorse

Be leery of old wive's tales because old wive's will lie with the best of them.