Quiet Gun for Trapping?

An area I plan to trap has odd echos or acoustics. Gun shots from 1/2 mile away on a farm can sound like they're right in someone's back yard.

Shooting should be rare for me, but if I must put an animal down that way does anyone have practical tips for ways to minimize the noise? I'll be 100% legal and by-the-book, but I'd like to get in and out and off to my day job, if I can, without having to deal with 911 calls about a gunshot near a neighborhood.

Thanks in advance,
GT

killitgrillit

Use 22lr CB caps

Interesting -- I didn't know about those. It looks like they use a very tiny powder load, so they're good for close range only but very quiet. Perfect for my situation.

Have you used them? Are they effective for making a humane kill at close range?

Thanks!
GT

killitgrillit

yes very effective and quiet

country_guy9734

that is what i use also. works good

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
quiet

Get some Aguila SSS, 60 grains of lead at low velocity. This will kill anything in the Ga. woods at close range andfrom a rifle it as quiet as a 22 short. It will also function in most autos. I order mine from Cabelas.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
cb caps in a lever action rifle are about as loud as the action being worked in my experience.

I have a friend that lived in a house in town many years ago. The property owner and her neighbors had LOTS of pecan trees, therefore lots of squirrels. They were nesting in their houses, shop, etc and basically tearing up everything they could. I can't tell you how many squirrels he shot with CB caps and NO ONE knew he was doing it.

T

2011GADawg

the aquilla super colbri from cabelas, I shoot squirlys in my back yard with them and it is quieter than the pellet gun

Perfect!

Like I said, it'll all be 100% legal, but I don't need the aggravation of a lot of local attention. So CB caps seem like the perfect answer. Besides, it gives me a good excuse to buy a lever action rifle!
GT

killitgrillit

Look for a marlin 981t it's a tube feed bolt action it shoots 22 S,L,LR cheap and accurate