Quiver question

Cavalry Scout

I have never had a quiver on my recurve. (never really hunted much with it). What are your experiences with different types of quivers? Why do you like the one you have? What issues have you had? I see there are slide on, strap on, ones that mount under the limb bolts and some that screw into the riser. I will be hunting with a Howatt Hunter 1 piece and mostly with a Timberhawk takedown. Thanks for any feedback!!

dm/wolfskin

You're going to have to try them out and find out what you like. I don't like a quiver on my bow. I use a Dawgware quiver as you can see in the picture. Maybe someone will let you try theirs. There's so many of them now days to try. Maybe someone with better input will be along. They are suppose to be at home.lol

Dennis

I too like the tube style quiver (dawgware) I agree a bow quiver is a good way to carry arrows but I don't like one on my bow. I have lost arrows out of my bow quiver. In the thick cover you can push a tube quiver behind you and out of the way. In a tree stand I just hang guiver on a hanger. I use bright colored arrows feathers and wraps when I move my bow with a quiver on it there's a lot of movement of colors going on. You will need to try many different kinds to find out what you like. As far as a bow quiver there's not much difference on attachment systems. I prefer the strap on or a great northern quiver if you use a bow quiver

Last edited:

TIMBERGHOST

Howdy. I agree with all stated above. Try a few different set ups.

I used to shoot 3D & hunt with a Martin Hunter. Good bows. My experience is that my Martin Hunter did not "like" a slide on bow quiver (Selway). The quiver negatively impacted the forward and snap back motion of the limbs. I think the reason why is the relatively shorter limb length and longer riser length on that particular design. Another old recurve I had with a shorter riser and relatively longer limbs shot quite well with a slide on quiver.

In my opinion, one of the biggest considerations for accuracy in Traditional Archery is consistency - doing the same thing all the time.

You should decide if you are going to shoot the bow with the quiver attached or detached - all the time. Pick one set up and then stick with it.

A clip on bow quiver for carrying arrows only may be the ticket for that Martin. Just take off the quiver when you get to the 3D stake, settled in the blind or in the tree stand. Any bow will lilkely act or shoot to some degree differently "naked" than it shoots with a quiver (attached by any means) attached to it.

If you are dead set on shooting the bow (any bow) with the quiver attached, be sure to tune and shoot your bow (and arrows) with the quiver attached all the time.

Eventually I went with an over the shoulder strap quiver (as mentioned above) rather than a slide on bow quiver.

Hope this helps.

Cavalry Scout

Thanks folks! I normally take the quiver off when in the stand, wheel bow. I like the idea of less mass and stuff when I am sitting. I guess that answers my question, huh?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate a bow quiver. I like one that rides at your side, but you can slide it around to your back when you need to.

splatek

UAEC
I usually just use my pocket, but that's during practice/off season - I guess I will have to figure something a little better out when I get up in the saddle during the season...

oldguy

I shoot a Big Jim's Thunder Child with a Big Jim's strap on quiver. I like the set up. As was mentioned above consistency is key. Practice the way you plan to hunt. I keep the quiver on all the time and have no problem. I will admit to struggling with the aesthetic aspect of the bracket on this particular quiver and the beautiful work of art that is a BJ's Thunder Child long bow - but I've gotten past that now! When I fling an arrow and it goes where I want it to the sight is SO satisfying I wouldn't care if the bow had a magazine or was belt fed!

hambone76

I’ve been without a bow mounted quiver for a few seasons now.
I have a rather simple setup:
It’s a Vista hip quiver with an old belt run through the loop. It’s adjusted so that I can toss it over my shoulder and getting ahold of an arrow for a follow up shot is easy.
Easy on/off. I just hang it up once I’m in the stand.