R.i.P. Charles Wilbur Pickren

zedex

Gator Bait
I know most of you dont know him and that's a shame.
But, people in the the Brunswick and surrounding areas most likely have. Same for those who follow motocross and flat track racing.

After serving in the navy, Wilbur started selling motorcycles for a living. Over several decades, he has sold just about every marque..... harley, BSA, Norton, triumph, all Japanese brands. He was one of the first to sell Japanese motorcycles in the state.
The last decade or so, Wilbur's Honda Sales also sold go carts.

Wilbur also worked on the motorcycles. He could tear down a CBX engine and rebuild it better and faster than the factory--' and he didnt need a book. He could remember where every nut, bolt, washer and spacer went with 100% accuracy.

His mind was a time machine. We spent a lot of time working together and just talking. In the beginning, I was just a sprouting motorhead but Wilbur read in me my genuine interest and taught me so much. He helped me build my race bikes, taught me how to properly dial in timing using modified timing gears and suspension setups for different types of racing.

Racing..... Wilbur loved motorcycle racing and did it himself. He had lots of Number 1 plates and first place trophies. For him, flat track racing ruled. Even into his 60s and 70s, he didnt hesitate throwing a leg over his motorcycle and running wide open without a single braking device mounted. He didnt just go where angels feared to tread, he raced right past them. And now, they are laughing hysterically together.

The days of an honest businessman seem long gone, but for Wilbur, it was his creed. He didnt try overselling anything and did his absolute best to ensure that you bought what you wanted and what would best serve you. Satisfaction at point of sale and long after. In southeast Georgia and northeast Florida, everyone knew that if you wanted a fair, honest deal and the best after-sale care, go see Wilbur.
No one else can solve a problem?? Go see Wilbur.

Loved by many, respected by all, he had no enemies. When you met him, you instantly liked him.

The walking, talking encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge has left us. The motorcycle community lost its greatest member.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Yes, sir. Wilbur was a good man. You and I talked about him through PM a while back, and the mechanic he had, Dave. Dad bought 3 Honda 4-wheelers from him over the years, 2 at one time. We had them all serviced by him as well. Often, we would go in there and look at all the new ATVs and talk with him a long time. He knew his stuff, for sure. It's been 15 years or so since I last saw him, and he was racing motorcycles then, he told me.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/t...Obituaries&utm_term=Image&utm_campaign=Widget

Thanks for posting. I didn't even know he was sick.

zedex

Gator Bait
Yes, sir. Wilbur was a good man. You and I talked about him through PM a while back, and the mechanic he had, Dave. Dad bought 3 Honda 4-wheelers from him over the years, 2 at one time. We had them all serviced by him as well. Often, we would go in there and look at all the new ATVs and talk with him a long time. He knew his stuff, for sure. It's been 15 years or so since I last saw him, and he was racing motorcycles then, he told me.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/t...Obituaries&utm_term=Image&utm_campaign=Widget

Thanks for posting. I didn't even know he was sick.

It's sad, no doubt. I didnt want to say anything about this until the obit was published.

You know how easy and informative Wilbur was to talk to. I was really hoping he would still be around when I got back that way. He and my daughter talked on the phone but never met.
My first motorcycle is a Honda Z50r. Wilbur wanted the little motorcycle and when I left Brunswick, he bought from me for 300dollars. When I found out I was going to have a kid, I called and told him I wanted to buy it back. He refused the money. Said my first motorcycle should be my kid's first. A friend brought it across country and across the border in the back of his truck.

That Z50R sits in our living room, completely restored after my daughter rode it for about 6 years. And many parts were sent by Wilbur. He was a man's man and a human role model.