Rabbit Dogs on Trial

Nimrod71

A friend called last night and invited me to a beagle trail. I use to have beagles and I loved hunting rabbits with them, back in the 70's and 80's. The trial was over at Stillmore, Ga. Let me tell you I had a great time watching the dogs. It took me a little while to figure out the game and the judging, but it was pretty simple. Everyone there had a good time. In fact it has gotten me interested in getting back in the beagle game. It's amazing how much fun a group of men can have playing with their dogs.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree Nimrod, I’m in a lease that several guys use to train and keep their field trial dogs in shape . Ive hunted deer with hounds a lot but never had any beagles . Just sitting in my deer stand listening to them and hanging out with them a few times has got me interested also

Nimrod71

My first deer hunt was with dogs. My Dad was a member of two hunting clubs. It's kind of funny he didn't care about the hunting, he just like getting together with his friends and cooking, eating, playing cards and having adult beverages. I say he did enjoy his self. Dog hunting has gotten a bad rap and with the new regulations on it I don't think there is much life in it anymore. I just called a friend about the Southeast Georgia Beagle Club, I use to be a member, about their next trial. I know they have good dogs, I'll look them over and see what I can afford.

WishboneW

I have enjoyed the rabbit hunting as much as deer and turkey.

We hunt every Wednesday and Friday from end of deer season to feb 28.

Mostly retired folks though a couple guys work nights and a couple more work part time for fun.

Good times

specialk

Still stomping briars....ive had some type hunting dogs all my adult life.....not for everyone....ive come close a few times to hanging it up.....to me theres no sweeter sound than to hear a young pup opening up on his first track....brings a smile to my face....

Nimrod71

A hound sounding on a trail or barking on a tree can bring the boy back to and old man. There is just magical about the sound of hounds on a tail, rabbit, deer or coon. It just makes the blood run young again. And old dog man once told me a hound was a boy on four legs in a fur coat, now I believe him.