Rabbit killing day

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
12 week old New Zealand White bucks are resting in a salt water brine now. Put a few 11 week old San Juan bucks in there, too. Freezer is ready for most on Monday, frying pan ready for a few Monday night.

Got some 6 week old New Zealand Reds and 7 week old San Juan’s hitting the rabbit tractors next week to grow out while the breeders get ready for another round.

Older does for dumplings and stews will rest in a salt water brine next Saturday.

Homesteading is the way to go!!!0B2FAFCE-29B5-43E0-8F8A-CCD87CFB5F59.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's gonna be some good eating! I love eating big fluffy tame rabbits, I just hate killing them.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That's gonna be some good eating! I love eating big fluffy tame rabbits, I just hate killing them.
Do you get attached or just hate the having to deal with the whole killing process? I used to dread it because it can be time consuming.

But now I love it!!! Especially after I figured out how to barter / sell extras to cover the cost of what I eat. It’s satisfying to see that meat hit the freezer or frying pan.

This hog and these eggs never left my property and never saw a grocery store.4C966BEF-7CC9-4A2B-9CF6-82EAB1308BE7.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do you get attached or just hate the having to deal with the whole killing process? I used to dread it because it can be time consuming.

But now I love it!!! Especially after I figured out how to barter / sell extras to cover the cost of what I eat. It’s satisfying to see that meat hit the freezer or frying pan.

This hog and these eggs never left my property and never saw a grocery store.View attachment 1134029
Just getting softer in my old age I guess. I don't think nothing of shotgunning a rabbit running across a field, but picking up one of those fluffly fellers and killing it while it's looking at me ain't as much fun as it used to be. Hard to eat 'em while they're alive, though. :)

specialk

Just getting softer in my old age I guess. I don't think nothing of shotgunning a rabbit running across a field, but picking up one of those fluffly fellers and killing it while it's looking at me ain't as much fun as it used to be. Hard to eat 'em while they're alive, though. :)

Hold him by his hind legs and he cant see you....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hold him by his hind legs and he cant see you....
That's what I usually do if i kill one-hold it by the back legs and Ricky Stemboat chop it across the back of the neck. :)

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Heard that. Fortunately that’s never been an issue for me. I know folks that have tried raising their own meat but struggled on kill day.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Heard that. Fortunately that’s never been an issue for me. I know folks that have tried raising their own meat but struggled on kill day.
Anything else don't bother me, just fluffly bunny rabbits. I'll kill 'em, I just don't like it much. I'll gleefully kill a chicken.

deermaster13

Fine eating. We used to raise Flemish giants and enjoyed eating them. Have you tried the liver? I'm not a big liver eater but rabbit liver is off the chain. Not a strong flavor to it like other livers.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Fine eating. We used to raise Flemish giants and enjoyed eating them. Have you tried the liver? I'm not a big liver eater but rabbit liver is off the chain. Not a strong flavor to it like other livers.
Yes we save the liver as long as it doesn’t have white spots in it.

I raised a few Flemish giants and only problem I ever had was the bones were bigger. They’re good eating, though!!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The other batch is vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Put 6 more in the brine this evening. Really like this brine for rabbits - ice water, salt, brown sugar, lemons, oranges, red onion and kosher dill pickle seasoning.

4E3ECBCB-D503-4B90-B641-8A991B18B3D0.jpeg

Latest posts