Raise your hand if you have ever cooked a raccoon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, used to eat a lot of them when I kept coon hounds. Not bad at all.

blakely

I've eaten a few in my time. I boiled the coon til it was tender then pulled the meat off the bones. After that, I'd either put the meat in a pan and stick it in the oven with some Sweet Baby Ray's or put it in a skillet with some SBR and cook it down.

I hear a lot of people say that coon is greasy but I've not had a greasy one. Maybe I cook it enough to get rid of the grease. I don't cook them often because there's so much work in it the way I do it and I don't get a coon that often.

Hillbilly stalker

Im kinda fond of coon meat. Their a lot cleaner animal than a nasty turkey or chicken. City boys turn their nose up at them, that’s alright, they don’t know what their missing. They make dandy bbq too.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Coons are good.... good to eliminate from the feeder...

They make good bait for a Yote trap.

Eating one.... no thanks..

I’ll wrap a back strap from a deer... I’ll toss a coon in the trash can along with a possum..

I got a buddy who will eat anything.. he asks me why I won’t eat a beef tongue. My answer. Why eat a beef tongue when you can eat a ribeye... he’s yet to beat that argument...

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never have and hope I never have too...same with possum...pretty much have to be on my last leg to feed on that crap
Big difference in a coon and a possum. Coon is good. Possum, not so much. You ever eat a chicken or pig? Nastiest animals on this planet. You just aren't disgusted by them because of familiarity with eating them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Im kinda fond of coon meat. Their a lot cleaner animal than a nasty turkey or chicken. City boys turn their nose up at them, that’s alright, they don’t know what their missing. They make dandy bbq too.
Lotsa purty people gonna starve when the stores go down, ain't they? :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've eaten a few in my time. I boiled the coon til it was tender then pulled the meat off the bones. After that, I'd either put the meat in a pan and stick it in the oven with some Sweet Baby Ray's or put it in a skillet with some SBR and cook it down.

I hear a lot of people say that coon is greasy but I've not had a greasy one. Maybe I cook it enough to get rid of the grease. I don't cook them often because there's so much work in it the way I do it and I don't get a coon that often.
Show me an animal on earth greasier than a pig. And people gobble them down by the millions. :)

ugajay

Like said above they're good. Last one I had was in a Crock-Pot with onions taters and carrots. I'd taste a lot like roast but was delicious. Also good grilled with BBQ sauce slathered on. Y'all keep sticking your nose up and I'll keep eating them. Granny would've tanned your hide for that around her house!