Raising Chickens

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Why do I need a rooster? If they're in an enclosed pen, they wouldn't be protecting the chickens from predators. However, I have no experience and may be missing something.

A rooster can and will become a meal to a predator just as fast if not faster than a hen will. I`ve seen it happen.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You only need a rooster if you want to head him crow at night when you cut the outside lights on to take the dog pee.

SarahFair

Cleaning the coop was my least favorite thing about owning chickens.
I'd make a mobile coop just for this reason.
I'd also seriously look at designs that allow for SUPER easy clean out, nesting box area included.
Chickens are fun, but cleaning up after them, not so much

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Good coop, ours has a brick floor. A good run with wire over the top for added protection. Ours has a electric fence about 3 inches off the ground and we still have to deal with predators, possums mainly. We have mostly ornamental chickens now, but had good success with Rhode Island reds and barred rocks. Free range chickens will get into everything, and poop on everything.
Our rooster Leroy has made it 4 years I think, he’s serious about his job. He’s got some mean spurs, but he’d be no match for a hawk.
Good luck, they’re fun to have around. It’s an every day chore to keep them though.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve had chickens for about 16 years . Ever since my daughter was old enough to say I want one at the feed store :rofl: . I really didn’t have a clue what I was getting into but couldn’t imagine not having any . I took an old free 8x16 chain link dog pen and put a tin roof on it and built a small coop with egg boxes I can open from the outside . And attached it to the big pen . I do let them out during the day sometimes . And have had several disappear over the years. I just get 3-4 chicks ever 2-3 years . They really aren’t any problem at all . I also feed them a lot of stuff out of my garden all year7D468A9A-A63E-4DE6-8641-F5F5E6825A6B.jpeg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I’ve had chickens for about 16 years . Ever since my daughter was old enough to say I want one at the feed store :rofl: . I really didn’t have a clue what I was getting into but couldn’t imagine not having any . I took an old free 8x16 chain link dog pen and put a tin roof on it and built a small coop with egg boxes I can open from the outside . And attached it to the big pen . I do let them out during the day sometimes . And have had several disappear over the years. I just get 3-4 chicks ever 2-3 years . They really aren’t any problem at all . I also feed them a lot of stuff out of my garden all yearView attachment 1199888

Those two olive colored hens down in the front. What kind are they?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
It costs more to house and feed chickens than it does to buy eggs. The advantage is walking out back and gathering your own eggs. The downside is trying to keep everything from eating the chickens.

Chickens and rabbits are like tater chips of nature. Only you can decide if it’s worth the effort

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I’m not sure Nic , they lay green eggs and are delicious is all I know . Actually the only ones that have kept me from buying eggs this winter . I just call them Easter Eggers
If they have brownish green legs that is what they are.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Try some Australorps, they lay an egg almost every day of the year once they're mature. My uncle has some and he gets plenty.

Here are some top egg layers to diversify your flock.

Baroque Brass

Y’all got me curious about the chicken tractor. Could someone post some pictures?

Thanks.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
They will ear about anything too, toss a deer rib cage in, picked clean in a couple days

ssramage

I've raised a bunch of chickens over the years, egg layers and meat chickens.

Two pieces of advice...

1. EVERYTHING tries to kill chickens... and they're dumb so they let them. Plan accordingly.
2. If you're doing a small flock, try to buy chickens that are already laying or close to laying (24+ weeks). You'll pay more for them initially but the cost of raising them (brooder, heat lamps, etc) will balance that out. Plus you start getting eggs sooner. If you buy chicks in the spring/summer you won't really start getting eggs until next year.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Y’all got me curious about the chicken tractor. Could someone post some pictures?

Thanks.
I have one that my dad and I made probably 15 years ago. We made it WAY too heavy. It’s been sitting in the woods I’ll try and get pics later today

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The most predator averse chickens I’ve ever had was old school game fowl. I let them free range in the yard. Just go ahead and be prepared to have thunderdome like fights to the death pretty often.

One of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen chicken was was a game rooster fighting a Dominique rooster that was probably 2.5 times his size. The game rooster won.

Toliver

The most predator averse chickens I’ve ever had was old school game fowl. I let them free range in the yard. Just go ahead and be prepared to have thunderdome like fights to the death pretty often.

One of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen chicken was was a game rooster fighting a Dominique rooster that was probably 2.5 times his size. The game rooster won.

They have no fear. When I was a kid I had a Honda Big Red 3 wheeler. I rolled up to close to a game hen with biddies and she did not hesitate to attack that machine. They will attack people, dogs, horses and the mailman may have to just throw your mail out as he drives by. Otherwise they're great to have around. LOL!

Toliver

Screenshot_20230105-111828_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111820_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111814_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111806_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111758_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111733_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111719_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230105-111712_Chrome.jpg

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
As far as a chicken tractor the lighter the better. Your back will thank you