Raising Chickens

HuntingFool

Been wanting to get some egg layers and like a lot of people I decided now was the time. Started with 10 day old chicks that are now going on 3 weeks old. Lost one chick a couple of days after getting them so I have 9 now. I have 2 ISA Browns, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black Sex Links, 1 Asian Black, 1 Golden Comet and 1 Lavendar Oprington. Ran in to some issues Monday early AM when the tornado hit right near my house and we had no power for almost 2 days. Was able to keep them warm at night with handwarmers and moved them in to the sunshine during the day. They all seem to be doing well and happy. Started on my coop and run last weekend and should be able to get it completed over the next week. Main structure is built. Ready to install roof then move on to installing hardware wire on run, getting doors and vents done, finish nesting boxes, roosting bars, trim, etc.
Here are a few pics of my progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0960-1.jpg
    IMG_0960-1.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0961-1.jpg
    IMG_0961-1.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0962-1.jpg
    IMG_0962-1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 86

Jeff Raines

It can only go down hill from here.....you'll see some new chicken breeds at the feed store and have to have them.But ya won't want them in the same coop as the others because of pecking.So you'll build another coop and the cycle will keep repeating.LOL
At one time I had 4 coops in my yard.
Right now I have 2 big coops and one small tractor supply coop with my bantams.The lil bantam hen is setting on 7 eggs

HuntingFool

Yes I have been told this already. LOL. I am going to try and keep it in check. Just want enough to have good farm fresh eggs. I guess time will tell.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve thought seriously about it but my brother keeps me in eggs so I’ll stick with pigeons and quail but have neither right now. Two empty coops are tempting though.

TurkeyH90

Very nice. I just got into chickens myself. Thanks to my neighbors generosity I repurposed and old privacy fence into a house that I put in a dog pen I had. Has worked out well so far.

BG77

I’m on year 4 of backyard hens. My lavender Orpington is as big as a dang turkey now! They help my yellow lab eat out of his bowl. I couldn’t see a scenario where I wouldn’t have them ever again. I love watching them grow and every day is like Christmas when I check the lay box.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Get some 2 foot tall hardware cloth to lay flat on the ground under the fence. About 4 inches inside the pen and 20 inches outside. This will keep 4 legged predators from digging in. And at some point, they surely will.

Cmp1

BANNED
Get some 2 foot tall hardware cloth to lay flat on the ground under the fence. About 4 inches inside the pen and 20 inches outside. This will keep 4 legged predators from digging in. And at some point, they surely will.
We lost a few a couple weeks ago,,,,

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Thats a nice coop. Tile floor at that! When those hens grow up and start laying you'll be giving eggs away. I second Nics hardware cloth but it looks like you may have to dig around and put at least a pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6 around the bottom.

HuntingFool

Thats a nice coop. Tile floor at that! When those hens grow up and start laying you'll be giving eggs away. I second Nics hardware cloth but it looks like you may have to dig around and put at least a pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6 around the bottom.

Bought some cheap linoleum to go on the floor and nesting box to make it easier to clean. All lumber close to the ground is pressure treated and I be will adding dirt to level everything out. I will be running hardware cloth all around the bottom on the ground and covering with dirt to keep the predators out.
We normally go through 2 dozen or so eggs per week. Whatever we have after that will go to my parents, friends and neighbors.

Last edited:

HuntingFool

Got the roof on yesterday and about 1/3 of the shingles nailed. Hopefully finish up the shingles today and start working on the hardware cloth for the run and under the coop where I will have sand for dust bath.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Chickens are fun to watch and rewarding, I really enjoy mine

CurLee

Indeed. Started with eight, have been up to close to 150 birds. Slimmed down for a move and only have 10 layers, 5 for regenerative meatbirds, and 30 cornish cross that are a week away from slaughter.

TurkeyH90

Nic, Ive got electric wire (2 strands) run low on the outside of mine. There is a beautiful red fox across the road that I believe may have gotten a couple of the neighbors birds.Have not gotten my hands on any wire to run across the bottom yet. Im going on about 4 weeks at home finishing my job everyday about 1 pm. Im running eout of building supplies and stuff to plant.

Last edited:

BG77

Indeed. Started with eight, have been up to close to 150 birds. Slimmed down for a move and only have 10 layers, 5 for regenerative meatbirds, and 30 cornish cross that are a week away from slaughter.
Lawd!!! I have only 3, and they all have names ???

HuntingFool

Finished up the coop for the most part. Still have some small things to do. Still have to put down my 2 foot barrier around the perimeter, build my feeder and my waterer but it is ready for the girls. Turned them out on Monday and they love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0971-1.jpg
    IMG_0971-1.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0972-1.jpg
    IMG_0972-1.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 85

Barebowyer

I lined the bottom inside edge of my coop with 16" pavers butted up to one another around the perimeter. zero predator issues thus far

B. White

I had a huge pen in the woods years ago before it was cool. Chicken wire sides and top with all seems wired together with electric fence wire. Had something kill a couple and only eat the guts. No sign of how it got in and out. A few days later I went out and caught a hawk inside the pen that stood over 3' tall. Still have no idea how it got in or out. No other critters ever did.