Raising Wild Hog

Gator89

Why cut the males? Does it really help with population control? I know they say it doesn't with feral cat/dog populations. There goal is the females. Is it so later on if you catch/kill them they taste better? Curious?

Them ba'rs get fat and slick, mighty tasty, nothing to do with population control.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I say do it.
What is the difference from a trap and a pen? Is it a trap is temporary? I know folks that have a large trap made from chain link, Looks like a pen to me. Is it the trap door?

Why cut the males? Does it really help with population control? I know they say it doesn't with feral cat/dog populations. There goal is the females. Is it so later on if you catch/kill them they taste better? Curious?
What makes a boar stink and rank is from breeding/ chasing sows , and fighting , if he is cut all he is worried about is eating , it’s just to make them better eating if u are lucky enough to kill him later , and I have killed some later that we have cut , we notch their ear also !

tree cutter 08

I killed a cut boar on Russell wma several years ago. About 250lb. Cut the back hams out and backstraps. Wasn't fit to eat.

Gator89

Same concept as folks raising cattle to be sent to a feed yard, a steer will produce better meat and more efficient feed conversion rates than a bull.

Gator89

I would have to say it does.
If you had 2 Bars and 10 sows ant the end of the year you would have 12 hogs.
If you had 2 Boars and 10 sows at the end of the year you would likely have 100

Of course that is a side benefit, but the folks I know that do/did it so the hog would be better eating in the future. Population control was not the prime directive.

j_seph

I have castrated 3 boars, 250, 275, and 300 pound dressed weights. Although I did it after I shot them and all 3 have been ate and tasted just fine.

transfixer

A friend of my dad's hunted somewhere in south ga years ago with dogs, they would catch them and then pen them up and feed them for about a month before they killed them, said they tasted better after that, but I don't know what they fed them? I don't know if they kept them on the same property or not either, but I don't think he was the kind of guy to worry about regulations either. This was probably 25 yrs ago.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Back in the day, we`d catch em, mark the shoats, pen em, fatten em, and butcher em. All on our farm. You couldn`t tell em from the hogs we killed at hog killin` time.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Actually he is legally correct , we actually caught several lately and released the small boars after cutting them , we just recently had this discussion on here and I called the GDA myself and was told if wasn’t holding them more than 24 hrs they could be released where they are caught 404-656-3671

It is unlawful to release a feral hog once captured.

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-31 section B(i) "...no person shall release any trapped or transported feral hog into any area that is not fenced to prevent the escape of such feral hog onto the land of another."

Unfortunately the person you spoke with was mistaken. This law is being enforced by DNR Law Enforcement Division.

transfixer

It is unlawful to release a feral hog once captured.

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-31 section B(i) "...no person shall release any trapped or transported feral hog into any area that is not fenced to prevent the escape of such feral hog onto the land of another."

Unfortunately the person you spoke with was mistaken. This law is being enforced by DNR Law Enforcement Division.

So if you trapped a wild hog on your property,, and put it in a pen on your property to feed it and fatten it up , that is technically legal ?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Can’t tell another redneck nothin.
They want feral hogs dead period otherwise you need a permit period.
You have 24 hours that about it. Kill it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
So if you trapped a wild hog on your property,, and put it in a pen on your property to feed it and fatten it up , that is technically legal ?

I see maybe different rules have taken affect Jan 1, 2019 from the link he gave us
I think maybe a better question would be does that constitute a feral hog facility under the new rules :).

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
In Fla at our house we caught and raise a baby sow pig. Russian. It turned out to be a pet like a dog. It played ball. Let the kids ride it. Basically anything. Smart. Tell it to go get in it’s lottle pen.
It escaped while we where hunting in ga. Another family thought it was wild in there yard. Shot it and ate our pet. ?

Swamprat

Swamprat
Just amazed at how much the government has in stake for a non native invasive species. Oh yeah, I forgot, they make money on and regulate the harvest of such on taxpayer funded lands.

Heck,,,trap, transport to your property, fatten up, kill, eat. One less wild hog out there. Why so much red tape for the end result of a dead hog.