Raising Wild Hog

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
It is unlawful to transport a live feral hog without a permit from the Georgia Department of Agriculture (GDA). Feral hogs captured alive by a person without a valid GDA permit must be killed prior to transport. Release of any live feral hogs into an area that is not fenced is prohibited. Any persons convicted of the transport or release of live feral hogs may be subject to losing hunting privileges for up to three years and a fine up to $5,000.00, but not less than $1,500.00. Transport and possession of live feral hogs are regulated by GDA; contact the Animal Industry Division at 404-656-3671 for more information.

You may get a permit but it’s my understanding the only permit you’ll get requires you to transport directly to a processor.
Call the number.

ssmith

A recent law ? as I saw on gon in 2009 a fellow bottle feeding a young wild hog We use to hunt 20 yrs ago in Folkston and I remember some fattening them up

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Thanks you are right on Didn’t realize that

Technically you can’t trap them and then release them right from your trap.
You must kill it.
I suppose high fenced farms may have a certain regulation to add wild feral hogs inside their approved fence. But I’m telling you they’re fat enough as is. Shoot them all.
Twenty years ago I knew a guy that tried that and it got loose and started a population where none were before.
He got caught for it too. One hog is two too many.

sghoghunter

If you just happen to catch one where ever ya pen is that's legal since it isn't transported or being turned back out

ssmith

Is it a fairly new law Seems 20 years ago when we hunted in folkston some would fatten the piglets up to eating size

ssmith

I agree with one too many. My first hog hunt in fla back in the 80s I thought a bulldozer had come thru the woods

Jester896

Senior Clown
If you just happen to catch one where ever ya pen is that's legal since it isn't transported or being turned back out

for some reason I was thinking that as long as they didn't leave the property they were caught on it didn't matter where you penned them up on that property.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You are legally incorrect sir.
Actually he is legally correct , we actually caught several lately and released the small boars after cutting them , we just recently had this discussion on here and I called the GDA myself and was told if wasn’t holding them more than 24 hrs they could be released where they are caught 404-656-3671

Gator89

My brother in FL used to make some of the best sausage trapping wild hogs, fattening them up, then grinding the whole hog into sausage.

Seen many a trapped and fattened hog thrown on a smoker, too!

Trapping, castrating young boars and releasing them was quite common also.

ucfireman

I say do it.
What is the difference from a trap and a pen? Is it a trap is temporary? I know folks that have a large trap made from chain link, Looks like a pen to me. Is it the trap door?

Actually he is legally correct , we actually caught several lately and released the small boars after cutting them , we just recently had this discussion on here and I called the GDA myself and was told if wasn’t holding them more than 24 hrs they could be released where they are caught 404-656-3671
Why cut the males? Does it really help with population control? I know they say it doesn't with feral cat/dog populations. There goal is the females. Is it so later on if you catch/kill them they taste better? Curious?