Raising Wild Hog

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Just amazed at how much the government has in stake for a non native invasive species. Oh yeah, I forgot, they make money on and regulate the harvest of such on taxpayer funded lands.

Heck,,,trap, transport to your property, fatten up, kill, eat. One less wild hog out there. Why so much red tape for the end result of a dead hog.

Far more money is lost to feral pigs than is made from them. The primary reason we have such a problem now is several decades of people stocking pigs all over the place. All the red tape is ensure that captured pigs never make it back out onto the landscape.

Blackston

I know of a few populations of hogs that were started just like this ^^^^

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It is unlawful to release a feral hog once captured.

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-31 section B(i) "...no person shall release any trapped or transported feral hog into any area that is not fenced to prevent the escape of such feral hog onto the land of another."

Unfortunately the person you spoke with was mistaken. This law is being enforced by DNR Law Enforcement Division.
Sorry sir but I guess the Ga department of agriculture need to be advised of this , I wish I could remember the Dr’s name that I spoke with 2 times, and after 3 calls I got the answer that as long as I’m on my property or hunting club I could release them as long as I didn’t transport or have them in trap more than 24hrs

sleepr71

It’s Illegal to release any hog from a trap is My understanding. Unless you’ve been inspected/permitted by the GDA. Once its caught in a trap...PLEASE do the world a favor,and SHOOT it!! I guess I look at this from a Farmers’ perspective. A hog,or especially ..a whole Sounder..can move through a Hay/Crop field...and in a night or two..ruin the field! Cutting a Boar doesn’t stop it from rooting...

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Sorry sir but I guess the Ga department of agriculture need to be advised of this , I wish I could remember the Dr’s name that I spoke with 2 times, and after 3 calls I got the answer that as long as I’m on my property or hunting club I could release them as long as I didn’t transport or have them in trap more than 24hrs

Don't worry, I had a conversation with them and DNR LED before I posted. I posted the state law verbatim, it's pretty clear. I apologize for any confusion, sometimes this happens during the course of changes to laws and regulations.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Don't worry, I had a conversation with them and DNR LED before I posted. I posted the state law verbatim, it's pretty clear. I apologize for any confusion, sometimes this happens during the course of changes to laws and regulations.

What was it, the law, prior to the 01/2019 changes?

So if you trapped a wild hog on your property,, and put it in a pen on your property to feed it and fatten it up , that is technically legal ?

Yep, unless you've obtained a feral hog facility license from GDA.

do you mean it is illegal unless you have a permit?

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Just shoot the dang hogs simple simple simple.
No limit, no season, day or night. Trap them don’t let them pass go.
You fella’s that got them are not doing it right.
I’d be willing to bet the sole reason bait was originally permitted is so you all would kill off the hogs.
Seems to me it has backfired. Now we have bait that people refuse to stop for turkey season and still want to turkey hunt. Good Luck I warned you when they were trying to pass bait last summer and in 2011!!! Bad Idea.(n)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I can promise the hogs where I hunt are there to stay , corn or no corn , It doesn’t matter, we probably have 10 members that join just for the hog hunting , we and a joining land owner killed over 200 2 years ago and I think we have more now than ever , just me and my daughter killed 21 last deer season , and just a couple weeks ago I had a picture of 7 sows that all looked pregnant at one time, property is ocmulgee river swamp near horse creek wma , glad I have a place to deer hunt where there isn’t any

Blackston

Any body ever caught any " ear marked " hogs.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What was it, the law, prior to the 01/2019 changes?

do you mean it is illegal unless you have a permit?

The state law was changed in 2015 as a part of the Feral Hog Control Act to further regulate possession and transport, but enforcement mostly had to wait on development of Dept. of Ag rules that went into effect 1-1-2019. Regarding releasing hogs, it's been illegal to release them onto unfenced property since 2011, minimum fine of $1,500 and up to $5,000.

Yes, it is illegal to hold a feral pig alive longer than 24 hours without first obtaining a feral hog facility permit from GDA.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Regarding releasing hogs, it's been illegal to release them onto unfenced property since 2011, minimum fine of $1,500 and up to $5,000.

This seems to predominately be a trapping thread under the Dogging Header, this would also apply to the catch and release programs some doggers use? Along with catching a hog they could also catch a $1,500-5,000 fine for releasing it after it was caught?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
This seems to predominately be a trapping thread under the Dogging Header, this would also apply to the catch and release programs some doggers use? Along with catching a hog they could also catch a $1,500-5,000 fine for releasing it after it was caught?

Correct

sghoghunter

With that being said Killmaster I have been toe to toe with a certain person about the hog hunting on wma's. They said some of the places they hunt butt up to management land and they were told when their dogs crossed the line they could walk in with no weapons to retrieve the dogs and couldn't kill the hog but had to release it. Also what's your take on why the quota dog hunts was done away with if you have one

Last edited by a moderator:

Jester896

Senior Clown
when they had WMA permits you could carry a sidearm if you had a carry permit and a WMA permit...if you didn't have the WMA permit you couldn't...now a hunting or fishing lic qualifies as your WMA permit...not sure how you are going to release it if it is caught there. Now it sounds like you could get a fine if you do with the new changes.

Last edited:

ucfireman

Is a caught hog (by dog) different than a trapped hog?
An argument could be made a caught hog is not a trapped hog because no trap was used. And there fore not be illegal to release it.
I would like to see the law changed to allow spot and stalk hog all year on WMAs. With any weapon.