Rare Plant

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mature plants which can be harvested almost always have their offspring scattered around them. You leave the young ones to grow and harvest the older ones.
And wait until the berries are ripe before you dig, and replant them.

Unless you're a tribe of Mexicans. Then you just go through the woods and dig everything from three-leaf strawberries to the big ones, and take the berries and sell them,too. :mad:

oldguy

Big Oriental market. Typical "Witch Doctor" hocus pocus.
Latest market quote from FFG magazine: Number 1 certified wild genseng moving at $500 - $600/lb.

natureman

I don't grow to market. I grow to keep the plant from disappearing due to over collection. Who knows, one day the plant may prove to be a cure for some major disease.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't grow to market. I grow to keep the plant from disappearing due to over collection. Who knows, one day the plant may prove to be a cure for some major disease.
A bigger threat than over-collection here has been development of gated, ritzy yankee nests. A lot of hollers around here that used to be full of sang and ramps will never have any more.

nkbigdog

I can no longer walk much and I hate, that living in the Mountains and I have never tasted the tea..I also hate that I can't get Morels anymore..

GAJoe

Thanks for posting. A few years back I took the GA Master Naturalist classes. On our botany outing I overheard the class director and the guest instructor discussing this plant which I'm pretty sure was in our vicinity. But the guest instructor was saying that he wouldn't point it out again to a class. After one of his outings that he had pointed it out on the next trip it was all harvested. He was hoping it wasn't anyone in the class but wasn't going to risk it again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I found my first 7 leaf plant today. Wonder if its seeds will be likely to produce the same. P1111696 by Natureman29, on Flickr
I don't know. I've had that happen a time or two with some that I've planted and fertilized the crap out of. But, there was one holler in a neighboring county where I used to commonly find seven-leaf plants, about half and half with the normal ones. I don't know if it was genetic there, or environmental.

natureman

I don't know. I've had that happen a time or two with some that I've planted and fertilized the crap out of. But, there was one holler in a neighboring county where I used to commonly find seven-leaf plants, about half and half with the normal ones. I don't know if it was genetic there, or environmental.
I think I am going to cover the seed head once it gets berries with some fine mesh to protect it from insects and other critters. Saw this done by a well known grower. Then I will plant them in a special place and in 10 or so years see what happens.

Attachments

• seed.jpg
    seed.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 19

caughtinarut

We do not have ginseng here in south GA but many people will go all on your property to get some saw palmetto berries

Anvil Head

I've got a nice little laffin place up in NC with a good bit of 'sang. Got more trouble with locals than immigrants. Have several pokes and digger bars left in place due to hasty retreats. I don't suffer thieves very well. Word got out that there was a crazy injun living up in that holler that doesn't speak much but is a dang good shot. Not had a "visitor" in quite a while.
DSCN6302.JPG