Raven Fork Trophy Section concern

78Dawg

Just got back from the Raven Fork. Fished hard and caught only one small wild bow. Second trip in a row this has happened. I witnessed two big hatches with bugs hitting the water. What I didn't see was one fish rise. I have read and I now believe that the Trophy Section is not stocked as in the past. Not even a small dumb stocker hit. I believe that they stock for tournaments only. Now before you say I don't know the fish there I do know that the larger fish are smart and are hard to catch but that doesn't explain the lack of a recent small stocker. I euro nymphed both a single and double rig slowly, patiently, using small flies and tippet.. I fished an assortment of different flies. I didn't even see a fish follow a streamer which is unusual. Having said that I have heard this voiced by a number of people in the last 18 months. Maybe blame it on COVID. I don't know but I'm very frustrated with the river and don't know if I'll go back. BTW I had the river to myself. Not one other fisherman on a Monday. Any helpful advice or comments appreciated.
Show less

trout maharishi

Next time you're up there stop by the hatchery and talk to them. It's right up the road a couple of miles from the trophy section. It's on the corner of Big Cove Rd and where you turn off to go to the Stright Fork.

Concrete Pete

Next time you're up there stop by the hatchery and talk to them. It's right up the road a couple of miles from the trophy section. It's on the corner of Big Cove Rd and where you turn off to go to the Stright Fork.

Now this is good intel.

pjciii

It is right next to the KOA campground. I have seen those shut down for maintenance Before but you say you fished it a couple of times now. Were you downtown Or up by the Cherokee school. Usually at the bridges next to the school up to the KOA. If your as nimble as NCH you could run up the trail to the top pool of ravens fork. I am generally Happy with the fishing between Jellystone and KOA. The other thing i would check on is if the tribe has stopped maintaining The hatchery. For tournaments they can always have them brought in. But i am not sure.

OwlRNothing

I've given money to fish the Res. waters many times in various amounts for various reasons and have never felt like it was any better than NC or GA delayed harvest fishing. YMMV. Just my .02 on it.

78Dawg

Looking back, the lack of any other fishermen might have been an indication that the fishing wasn't worth the effort. If I go back I'll fish the tribal waters outside of the Trophy Section. Three trips and one small bow to show for the effort and money is just crazy.

78Dawg

Here ya go, the form has the hatchery address and phone numbers. There is also a report your catch form. I don't have a contact anymore, he retired, but I know for a fact they want you to be happy and catch fish.

https://fishcherokee.com/contact/

https://fishcherokee.com/contact/creel-survey/

Thanks man. Now that's very helpful. Called the main number several times but no one returned my call. Finally got a cell number and talked to a nice lady who said they stock the river. I'm very skeptical given my experiences.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks man. Now that's very helpful. Called the main number several times but no one returned my call. Finally got a cell number and talked to a nice lady who said they stock the river. I'm very skeptical given my experiences.
Just because fish are in there, doesn't mean you can catch them. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
True but if they aren't there you stand NO chance:cool:
Unless something different is going on at the moment, Cherokee usually stocks the living mess out of the creeks.

78Dawg

Unless something different is going on at the moment, Cherokee usually stocks the living mess out of the creeks.
Was told catch and keep is stocked twice a week. Guess locals gottta eat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Was told catch and keep is stocked twice a week. Guess locals gottta eat.
That's what they put them in there for. Limits on stringers =$$$$$$$.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member