therefore, I draw no conclusions from them,
but I do, somehow, find them interesting;
and I thought someone might understand,
and draw some conclusion from them:

November
Christianity and Judaism........................19 posts
Spiritual Discussions and Study..............39 posts
Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics...........904 posts

The only response I can come up with is: "To be or not to be, that is the question. " By this I mean it easier to be a Christian than to debate it. If I am is an example...It might just be a better course to be than to debate... being.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
The only response I can come up with is: "To be or not to be, that is the question. " By this I mean it easier to be a Christian than to debate it. If I am is an example...It might just be a better course to be than to debate... being.

Your post caused an overload of my brain: scriptures that give guidance for "debate/discussion" of scripture/doctrine among brothers, between believers and nonbelievers, teachers toward disciples, disciples toward teachers ...

gordon 2

Your post caused an overload of my brain: scriptures that give guidance for "debate/discussion" of scripture/doctrine among brothers, between believers and nonbelievers, teachers toward disciples, disciples toward teachers ...

I have no doubt. :) However I bet there are a few that claim it is better to be charitable than to debate/discuss about it. But perhaps not.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Perhaps someone would like to work up a list of scriptures that would give us guidance in this area. If there is interest more will be added.

atlashunter

I noticed the same thing hummer. It's a real snooze fest in here. Glad we have some believers participating in the AAA forum to keep things interesting.

hobbs27

I find myself too involved in FB groups to participate much here, and we've pretty much covered the entire Bible and all possible views of every verse amongst the same folks for the last few years.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
O.K.; I went where I knew I would find something about dealing with controversy—the pastoral epistles—and found these:

1 Tim. 1:3-11; 4:7; 6:2-5; 6:20-21
2 Tim. 2:14-18; 2:22-26
Titus 3:1-3; 3:9-11

The problem that I, sort of, expected, but is somewhat tougher than I expected, is audience relevance. Sometimes Paul is instructing Timothy as to his actions as a pastor; other times Paul is instructing Timothy as to what he should teach to his congregation. For some passages, it is not perfectly clear to which category they belong, and there may be some leeway for particularly egregious situations. How do we view instructions that we know are directed to one who is a pastor?

red neck richie

O.K.; I went where I knew I would find something about dealing with controversy—the pastoral epistles—and found these:

The problem that I, sort of, expected, but is somewhat tougher than I expected, is audience relevance. Sometimes Paul is instructing Timothy as to his actions as a pastor; other times Paul is instructing Timothy as to what he should teach to his congregation. For some passages, it is not perfectly clear to which category they belong, and there may be some leeway for particularly egregious situations. How do we view instructions that we know are directed to one who is a pastor?

We are called to bare witness and to testify regardless of audience. 1 John 1:2-3

Artfuldodger

Did Paul's epistles have the same message to each congregation? Were there some things he addressed to the Galatians vs other things that were addressed to the Romans?
I mean he didn't write just one letter and send it to everyone.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
We are called to bare witness and to testify regardless of audience. 1 John 1:2-3

My reference to audience was not intended to exclude any person, or group of people, from our responsibility to represent our faith, but to emphasis that not all instructions given are intended for all of Christ's disciples. Some are called to a particular type of ministry (pastors, evangelists, teachers, etc.); all who are called to Christ are called to ministry but most are not called to be pastors or evangelists, and there are instructions in scripture that are directed to those who have those particular callings.

My personal take on those instructions which are of a general nature has been expressed in the witticism "tell everybody about your Savior, Jesus Christ, and if you must, use words." (1Pet. 2:12,15; 3:14-16; Phil. 2:14,15; 2 Cor. 8,21)

My intent in post #8 was to suggest that, since we are required here, on an internet forum, to "use words", that we might benefit by talking about those general instructions, and how they apply to our use of this medium.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Did Paul's epistles have the same message to each congregation? Were there some things he addressed to the Galatians vs other things that were addressed to the Romans?
I mean he didn't write just one letter and send it to everyone.

I think the answer to both questions is "yes"; but I don't quite see how they tie into the pastoral epistles, except that there are definitely some instructions that Paul gave to both pastors.

gordon 2

Ref: Pastor.

11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

This sums it up mostly for me I think....?

The flip side being this: These are the things you are to teach and insist on. 3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

gordon 2

Audience relevance:

The best at audience relevance might be those who have the Holy Spirit on them as opposed to the Holy Spirit in them only.

Few have the Holy Spirit on them ( controlled by the HS) as Paul did or Peter did so audience relevance is a " Hail Mary" for most saints.

Hebrews 13:2 Look on Jesus who is the source and the completer of our faith.

When saints try their goat at audience relevance many or even most might not heed to Hebrews 13:2--but to the audience itself, or worse some agenda...or task they have taken apon themselves...( such as spin to derail a tread by discrediting an individual in a discussion... etc... or spinning from politics in a spiritual debate.)

1 Corinthians 12:8

For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;...

Knowledge and wisdom are different things... Paul and saints like him have them both...

The rest of us... well ... we struggle.

Last edited: