RCBS Universal Decapping woes fixed

JeffinPTC

Since covid and Joe I've been buying ammo rather than reloading, waiting for components to come down. Today I got around to decapping 9mm on my Forster Coax,, and my problems with the pin missing the hole and primers not fully ejecting came back. I mentioned this here and Briar suggested filing the pin flat, etc. I tried that but it seemed to make the pin miss the flash hole even more. Luckily my pin broke requiring a dive in my parts box. When I knocked out the headed pin, 3 pieces of a spring also fell out.
The originl pin appears to be a long RCBS, so I replaced with a short one.
The RCBS Universal 27-45 decap die instructions call for a .25" extension past the die, but it doesn't say whether that's extended or compressed.
So here's what worked for me
1. Replace broken spring with one from another die. I emailed RCBS for more since I don't see them for sale alone.
2. Use short decap pin
3 Measure the .25" extension with thumbnail compressing the pin.

These things seem to have solved these issues. I did another 200 and only had a couple of exceptions. Perhaps the pin doesn't roam around as much with the short pins?
Do regular RCBS size dies have a spring behind the decap pin? Son says no. I wonder if we have just lost them over the years.
I also found a Berdan 9mm. DK how only one appeared since we only shoot on our land.
I suggest a soft down stroke on the Coax until you fell it find the flash hole, then a more determined slap the last couple of inches.
Jeff

BriarPatch99

I remember you asking about the sticking primers ... and many times "changing " the shape of the tip will make it stick less ...

One idea that seems to help alignment with the hole ... is loosen the stem slightly and guide the pin into the hole ... then tighten the stem lock nut ... this ain't gonna help with Berdan or a brass with something in it beside an empty case ...

A fellow could fashion a extended pin by heating(red hot)a shank of a proper size drill bit and hammering a "head" on it ....then put it into a drill press an machine the head to the proper size ... could also heat the bit in the drill press and fashion a head on it by force ...probably still gonna need file to the right size head ...

I have used a drill bit for the old style straight non headed pins ... matter fact I got a section of a bit in my 357 SIG dies ...since many of the brass have the tiny primer fire hole ... RCBS sent me a whole pack of athe smaller diameter pins ...

BriarPatch99

Also would think the "sliding" of the pin with the spring pressure has to have enough clearance to slide so that possibly allows the pin to shift slightly off axis of the stem ...

If I remember the spring loaded pin was supposed to move up until the spring pushed enough force to make the primer come out or hitting the solid end of the stem ..... basically popping the primer out ...

JeffinPTC

Jimmy,
You're right about the regular dies not having a spring. And. as usual, RCBS has xlnt tech support:

Sat, Oct 22, 3:47 PM (5 days ago)
to
Hi :
If you are doing 9mm and the primers are sticking to the pin I am going to send you a Power Punch Decap Assy. It is spring loaded and will help you with the issue you are experiencing. The regular decapping units are not spring loaded so you don’t need to worry that you have lost the springs. The only decap units that have springs are the Power Punch and the Heavy Duty Universal. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!

Alice Paul
Customer Service
RCBS/Champion/Weaver
605 Oro Dam Blvd
Oroville, CA 95965
(800) 533-5000

Jester896

Senior Clown
I remember you asking about the sticking primers ... and many times "changing " the shape of the tip will make it stick less ...
I didn't see this earlier...
That is what my buddy does to the universal decapping dies he uses in the Dillons (Hornady). I think the Dillon die already has this. He makes a slight radius on his pin and it helps with sucking the primer back up into the case.

fauxferret

Not to hijack or derail the thread. I used the RCBS and Lee decapping die and got frustrated with them for the exact same reasons. A friend turned me onto FW Arms universal decapping die. I leave a dedicated single stage with this die in it and just change the shell holder. It has a tapered housing so it automatically centers the brass on the up stroke. It is pricey they used to be around $60. In all honesty I wish I knew it existed sooner. It is a game changer.

• Love
Reactions: Dub