Reading coyote sign

buckpasser

It may sound odd, because I’ve been a hunter my entire life, but this is my first year actually paying attention to anything besides deer and turkey sign.

From what I’ve witnessed since winter, it seems the coyotes go on regular long distance routes possibly night after night in the cold weather, then slowly move towards a sedentary small range for summer. I assume this is mostly due to hunger, food availability and raising young. I have noticed some exception to this with some apparently transient movement through the plantation I manage. The tracks aren’t repeated for weeks and seem to be from some distant home range because they completely disappear for so long.

I’m wondering if this tighter home range might be an advantage for me if I were to be lucky enough to locate a den. I’m thinking that all this rain will make for a good opportunity to scout all my possible areas and maybe locate some good sign. Would the veteran trappers here agree with that presumption, or is summer just a tough time for success?

Doug B.

I've never trapped in the summer. I just don't think I would enjoy working at it in the heat. But I do think if you were to locate a den you could possibly do very good at catching a few and I have always heard that their range is a lot smaller. I'm sure that's because there is more food available for them.

buckpasser

I've never trapped in the summer. I just don't think I would enjoy working at it in the heat. But I do think if you were to locate a den you could possibly do very good at catching a few and I have always heard that their range is a lot smaller. I'm sure that's because there is more food available for them.

It is pretty rough, but two things keep me focused.

1) fawn mortality
2) the trapping bug has bit me

jakebuddy

I usually catch more in the late summer than in the fall, the coyotes know you have been there you can’t hide it. I put my sets in at night with a head lamp the bugs are bad but it’s 10-15 degrees cooler. I like trapping in august and September after pup dispersal it boost my confidence.

280 Man

Banned
I trap totes from late February until late july, first if August. It is hot, humid, SKEETERY and just plain awful but I do it for the fawns and poults.

I don't use bait in the summer, just scent and urine. I also believe their range is smaller then.

No doubt it's tough but catching some is possible and imo worth the sweat investment if serious about fawn recruitment!

buckpasser

These are the tracks I last set on at work. This is also the leaver of the rabbit fur dumps. The scat I found today had all sorts of remains and grain in it. Come to find out...it’s the neighbor’s hound dog mix!

I gave the neighbors another good talking to, but it sure seems the poor dog is being forced to provide his own protein at our expense.

I was convinced they were coyote tracks.

FF3B54B9-B777-49FD-A0AC-0BF2DFE2454D.jpeg