Recent fur prices

oldguy

So what’s the difference in Castors and beavers
Castors are the glands located in a beavers abdomen that they use to mark their territory with. Castor has a strong but not a bad smell. When I do classes with school kids their most common remark is "It smells like new tires!". The other most common remark is, "It smells like beef jerky!". So if you can imagine a combination of those two or something in between you'll pretty much know what it smells like. The beavers scientific name is actually Castor canadensis. The castors (they are paired) are hung up to dry and bought/sold by the pound. Takes a HEAP of dried castors to make a pound. Dried they will last indefinetly and seem to smell stronger as they age. Pound them to a powder and add to any trapping bait. Strong medicine! Every critter is attracted to castor.
To mark their territory beavers pile up mud and leaves and deposit castor on it. This is called a castor mound. Some in traditional sites can be 18" to two feet high. Use castor from a beaver from one colony in the territory of a different colony and expect an immediate reponse! I made a castor set near a bank lodge in a farm pond and in less than 15 minutes had a beaver thrashing in a snare! HEAP STRONG MEDICINE!
Castor is used for several things but one is as a fixative in fine perfumes!

oldguy

At those prices, castors are all I would be targeting.
True but you and I know how much work would go into making the $64/pound TOP price. Many, many beavers and the buyer finding every reason under the sun to discount the price. You know the drill! Probably wind up making about 6.4 cents an hour (or .64 cents/hr) for $64 !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Dang !!! I could of made almost $100 in 3 weeks , no actually I could of put 100 towards the $400 I spent , not counting a few tanks of gas !

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Seeing this thread is bringing back an old fever that I though had died back in 1985. I just might bring out my old traps and step back into it next season. I can tan the furs for my own use.

Big7

The Oracle
No stopping now! I'm thankful that I was born to this way of life!
Besides trapping, what other things does "this way of life" mean? Do you live off the land? Just curious.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Besides trapping, what other things does "this way of life" mean? Do you live off the land? Just curious.

I can`t answer for him, but to me it is kinda hard to describe. It`s more than the hunt, more than the trapping,. It`s belonging out there more than being anywhere else. It`s being more comfortable out there alone or with a few trusted, like-hearted people. It`s trying to see every sunrise and sunset from the wild places. It`s the respect for all this that God has placed in our care. It`s the thrill and sadness of a kill.....

I could go on all night, but no need. With a little thought, most will understand.